"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 08-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
Head Chef

Yes, charcoal is really that great. And wood chips.

Get a Weber kettle.

Lee

Old 08-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Charcoal grills are not as inexpensive as they seem. Cheap charcoal is made with fillers that, imo, create an off taste in food. Depending on where you live, lump charcoal (the kind without fillers) can be costly. Over time, the price you pay for lump charcoal can make up the difference between a charcoal grill and a gas grill.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Charcoal grills are not as inexpensive as they seem. Cheap charcoal is made with fillers that, imo, create an off taste in food. Depending on where you live, lump charcoal (the kind without fillers) can be costly. Over time, the price you pay for lump charcoal can make up the difference between a charcoal grill and a gas grill.
$ wise the cost may be made up but you can't beat the taste. I was going to make mention of the hardwood lump charcoat - it's wonderful!!!! It really holds the temp too - I smoked some things with it and I only had to refill once in 7 hours.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

seriously LOL @ a foreman grill.

dont waste your money dude.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
seriously LOL @ a foreman grill.

dont waste your money dude.
You have to cook food somehow.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Thank heavens people finally started to mention flavor. There's no comparison -- charcoal wins hands down.

As for cost, it will help if you don't let your charcoal burn down to nothing each time you use it. Put it out with water. Use a sprayer, not a hose. Will raise some smoke, but that's not such a big deal -- you're outdoors.

As for the convenience of a gas grill ... the really "convenient" way to cook is in your kitchen where's everything's at hand. Cooking outside is necessarily a bit less convenient, but that's not the point really, is it? And dealing with charcoal's hardly a hassle: plunk some in; light it; leave it; cook on it...
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I received a little Forman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Machine as a promo gift when I bought my Lazy Boy Chair a couple of months ago. I would never have purchased this grill but I have to tell you I love it. It makes great burgers and chicken breasts but it is by NO means a bbq type grill. I have a Weber charcoal grill and a Weber Q gas grill and I love both of them but the Weber charcoal grill wins hands down every time. NOTHING grills like charcoal. It's not as convenient as the Weber Q gas grill but I go for flavor. I'm not in that much of a hurry. I dump some charred wood, (I don't like briquets) into my Weber chimney, add some newspaper, light it and wait a few minutes. Then dump the charcoal into the grill and go for it. It' only takes a couple of minutes longer for charcoal to burn to a white ash than it takes to preheat a gas grill.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
As for cost, it will help if you don't let your charcoal burn down to nothing each time you use it. Put it out with water.
I am not sure if I agree with this. While it may save money in the short run, it will end up ruining your grill so you will need to buy a new one sooner than you would if you kept it dry. I forget the specifics (Buckytom where are you?), but the water in combination with the ash creates an acid (I think) that eats away at the metal of the grill.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Get one of these. I love it and it is only about $100 bucks. Charcoal rules. However I got to admit I use my gas grill more often because I am lazy.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am not sure if I agree with this. While it may save money in the short run, it will end up ruining your grill so you will need to buy a new one sooner than you would if you kept it dry. I forget the specifics (Buckytom where are you?), but the water in combination with the ash creates an acid (I think) that eats away at the metal of the grill.
Hey GB,

That may be theoretically sound -- I don't know -- but in practice I haven't found it to be true. We use a Weber kettle grill and it's in very good condition, despite always extinguishing the charcoal with water. After all, there isn't ever any sitting water, in combination with ash or otherwise, since it all evaporates immediately. Seems to me that what remains is just still-good charcoal and, yes, ash.

Grill's about 12-years old now. Again, in very, very good condition.