"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I like regular stainless steel rod grates. Two people I know of had the ceramic flake off the coated grates. When they went to replace them, they cost half as much as a new grill.

Stainless will last forever. Make sure the rest of the grill body and burners are stainless too.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
didn't you get the service agreement ?
I don't think a service agreement covers wear and tear!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I never buy service agreements. The grill is over 9 years old.

Does anyone have a rotisserie attachment and do you use it/like it?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't, but my father used to use his all the time, until the advent of cooking your chicken standing up, ala "beer can" chicken. Now he only uses it when doing a beef roast, which isn't that often.
I can hear that electric motor grinding away now.... always straining when the heavy part of the meat was close to the top..... Good memories from when I was a kid. Everyone used rotisseries back then at family picnics.

I should add; they are great ways to cook multiple birds for picnics.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I never buy service agreements. The grill is over 9 years old.

I have one on my roaster that uses a 3/4" spit. Supposed to hold a whole pig, some turkeys or a few chickens. Wanted to, but never used it....yet. I think the Honeymoon would end abruptly if I planned on using one all the time.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Once long ago on an old Ducane....I seldom used it. I was not impressed with it.
If I were in search of a new gas grill it would be on the bottom of my priorities list.
If the one I really liked/wanted came with it...it woluldn't be a deal buster.
I have a manual SS one that I use over camp fires...It can be fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Head Chef

Andy,

SS cooking grates and flavorizer bars cook well, clean up well, and last a couple of years longer than porcelain enamel-coated grates.

As has been mentioned, when you cook "indirect", especially on a Weber (whose design is deliberate to allow for effective indirect cooking), you REALLY don't need a rotisserie. However, it's a fun attachment, and it DOES provide for more even cooking without worrying about turning the meat manually.

I have the rotisserie and "collar" for my Weber charcoal kettle and use it mainly on chicken wings (yeah, I have the basket attachment, too), whole chickens, and turkey breasts to get the skin evenly golden and crispy. I've done legs of lamb with it, too.

I don't like to use it on things like pork loins or beef roasts, because it kills me to poke holes in those beautiful solid cuts of meat.

Lee
Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been to a few stores looking at three burner grills and they all cost a ton. I'm beginning to think I should get a Weber kettle instead.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
Head Chef

Andy,

My store has the Weber Spirit 3 -burner for $399.

The Ducane 3-burner, the basic model, is $329.

The Ducane 3 burner with a side burner and a rotisserie is $399.

The Weber Genesis (3 burner) is $699. But I have one in copper-colored enamel which is gorgeous!

Weber bought Ducane and they are the only two brands of grills I sell in my hardware store.

Lee
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

If you can hold off a month or two, Andy, I picked up that Ducane of mine last fall greatly reduced because it wasn't "grilling season" anymore. At least I think it was last fall, I grill so much it feels like I've had it two years
I picked it up at my local hardware store, which needed to make room for winter items. You might get a better deal at a smaller store like that if there are any around you. It was a lot cheaper than box stores and any I found online, even with sales tax added on. And it was put together!

And I know we talked about this before, but I'll mention it again, what steered me away from the Webers, that I was looking at, is that their burners ran left to right rather than front to rear. I can leave off my two middle burners, light the two outer ones, and have a fairly large surface for indirect grilling. The Webers I saw didn't look like they would work as well for indirect. Their four burner ones took a big leap in price, well over what I wanted to spend. I couldn't be happier with my Ducane Affinity.