"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen
Sausage Question

I've got our favorite sausages to cook tonight, but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.
The sausage is fresh, from my favorite Italian deli, and there's about 2-1/2 to 3 lbs.
I don't want to grill tonight, and would prefer to keep the sausages in their casings. Only other limitation is that my m-i-l is joining us, and she can't eat real spicy stuff.

So, what are your recommendations for tonight's dinner?

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Head Chef
I made this one last night, jkath, using sweet Italian sausages. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._33312,00.html

It was delicious, but I wouldn't bother with the sauteed garlic cloves again - you really couldn't taste them much. I might just mixstore-bought chopped garlic in with the mustard.

I had four large sausages, and I cut the pizza dough into 4 sections to roll out each section. And I trimmed the rectangles with scissors, to fit. Spread the dijon and garlic on the dough, then the sausage, then topped with a 4-cheese shredded blend. You could put in anything you want - they come out like a calzone pig in a blanket! I served one whole one for each person and they were great! Sauces on the side could be marinara sauce, green chile sauce, more mustards, horseradish sauce.

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
What about browning them off in a large pan, and then smothering them in peppers, onion, tomatoes, and finishing in the oven? i suppose it is a little hoehumm, but very traditional, and good.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Master Chef
I agree with Tattrat - that's what I'd do. Serve some small pasta on the side that can soak up some of the sausage sauce, & a green salad.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Are you suuuuure you don't want to remove them from the casings JKath?

Well if you decide to do so, here's a few suggestions. I can't really think of any recipes off hand that uses them whole which don't involve peppers and tomatoes.

1. Remove casings, finely chop by hand or with a food processor and use them as a base for Bolognese sauce.

2. Remove casings, cut into 1" pieces, brown, and use the drippings as a base for risotto

3. Same method as above, and use for paella

4. Remove casings, mince and render with shallot or onion. De-glaze with balsamic or sherry vinegar, and use as a base for a salad dressing.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Master Chef
Sausages are great when cooked, chopped, and added to mixtures of pasta, or in hashes containing potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic, or they can be added to Minnestrone - type soups. They are excellent when chopped into inch-long chunks and added to baked beans, or boild dinner (which will dilute some of the spicyness for your MIL.

Pre-cooked sausage baked into cheese macaroni is great. Or slice and top pizza with them. They are good with sour kraut and make a great addition to tossed green salad with tomato and cucumbers.

All of these suggestions allow you to cook the sausages in their casings, and slice, dice, chop or leave whole as the recipe requires. And whole sausages add a dramatic look to a pot of beans, especiall when they and the beans are placed on platter rather than in a bowl when served.

The sausage is also a very good addition to chili.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen
oooooooh, so many great ideas!
I hesitate to the peppers/onions, as that's the only way m-i-l ever cooks them. My personal favorite is to make the italian sausage soup, but since it's nearly 100 degrees, soup is out of the question!
Qsis: I saw that episode! Love Michael C!
Thanks so much, all!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef
rice mixed with some cayenne powder and butter to make it a spicy fried rice.

add some cooked browned sausage.
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Maybe too late for tonight, but - what about pan-grilling them, then serving on some yummy rolls - like sourdough, or something - with all sorts of condiments on the side?
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Senior Cook
I know that you have Italian sausage but one of my family's favorites is bangers and mash. Saute the sausage and serve with mashed potatoes. Even though it's a big deviation from the English traditional dish I like to saute the sausage with mushrooms, onions and peppers and make a brown gravy with the pan drippings.

Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote