"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the problem is that the brine of X strength is used to slighly dehydrate the veg, so each time you use it it`s gets more diluted.

same with Vinigar based, start with half a jar of 8% vin, and then add the veg, wait for however long and take the veg out, it will taste vinigary, and the amount of liquid in the jar will be the same, but since the veg water and vinigar reach a ballance, and you`ve taken vinigar out IN the veg, then your liquid will be water and your 8% (leaving about 4%).

4% is nice on fish `n` chips, but not good to pickle with :)

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
Thank you everyone. You guys are great. I will not be re-using the brine.

Katie, to answer your question about why I would want to try...The brine was not cheap because of the champagne vinegar. I had a hard time finding it and when I finally did find it I had to pay $10 for a very small bottle. There might be enough left over for one more batch (or I might be a little short). Once I run out of that vinegar I will just use more cider vinegar in its place. I don't think it could possibly make that much difference.

Betty, the pickles came out great. I would not call them sweet (I don't really like sweet pickles that much), but do have a slight sweetness that cuts the vinegar taste. You could tell there was sugar, but the sour is more predominate.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
Master Chef
I think you'll be well satisfied with the cidar vinegar, GB. It makes fine pickles.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, GB. Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't imagine why you were so concerned about reusing the pickling liquid. We can't even get champagne vinegar here so it would be a moot point for us.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
I am coming in on the tail end of this one...are you talking about what you pickle the pickles in, or just the leftover liquid in the pickle jar??? My mom used leftover pickle JUICE from the jars of sweet pickles all the time in her vinegarettes.
allergictoeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by allergictoeverything
I am coming in on the tail end of this one...are you talking about what you pickle the pickles in, or just the leftover liquid in the pickle jar??? My mom used leftover pickle JUICE from the jars of sweet pickles all the time in her vinegarettes.
We are talking about using the leftover pickle brine from homemade pickles to make another batch of pickles.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
I make 3 batches of pickles each week using this "base" liquid.

1 quart water.
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt.

bring to boil for 15 minutes, let cool to room temp and using a 3 quart jar stuffed with cukes, either sliced or small pickling cukes. let sit for 24 hours on the counter then refrigerate and enjoy. This is for crunchy pickles, if you want rubbery ones, add the liquid while its still hot and it will cook the cukes or other veggies.

For spices, depending on what kind of flavors I want, I typically add, fresh ginger root, garlic cloves, the juice of 1 or 2 limes or lemons, peppercorns, etc. basically whatever you like. I cant get fresh dill here so no luck making genuine dill pickles. Using the above liquid base, I've pickled hot cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, carrots pretty much anything.

When I do mushrooms, (white ball type that can be bought in the supermarkets)
I boil them for 5 minutes in the liquid, and I will add 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and 1 cup of red wine to the liquid (subtract 1/2 cup of water). fresh basil, oregano, rosemary sprigs are all good to add along with garlic, peppercorns, a chile pepper or flakes. Just remember, the mushrooms will shrink when they are boiled, I use 4 packages of the shrooms and thats about 1/2 a 3qt. containers worth. After I've poured the liquid into the container, I add a 1/2 cup of olive oil.

Mraughh is offline   Reply With Quote