Canned cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
Does anyone know if you can can cabbage? I have several heads to deal with and I have froze all I want and was wondering about canning it. thanks for any help. :D

Thank you wasabi but I have plenty of relishes. I'm making egg roll filling today and will freeze that. My freezer is getting full and was just looking for canned cabbage other then kraut. That takes to long for me and I hae never made it. Guess I'm chicken. thanks again. :D

If you have room in the fridge, an uncut head of cabbage will last an amazingly long time. Don't wrap it, just put it in the crisper drawer. The outer leaves will dry and protect the interior. The head will last for months.

Before refrigeration, people used to pull the cabbage by the roots and hang it upside down in the root cellar. Root cellars are cool and dark and have high humidity, kinda like a crisper drawer.

I completely agree with Sparrowgrass. In fact, even cut heads of cabbage will last for an amazingly long time. While the cut edges will dry, when they're sliced off, the remaining head looks as though it was fresh from the garden & just cut. Tastes that way too. I always keep a head in the crisper drawer for additions to sautes, stirfries, salads, etc. Unbelievably sturdy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom