Canning venision questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Now that hunting season is upon us, I want to have venision done different. I have heard canning it is very good. I'd like to try it but have no idea how. Any suggestions and receipes would be greatly appreciated.

No recipes Mikki, but one suggestion. Research Canning meats extensively!! Use every resource available to you. There is not a lot of room for error in canning, especially meats. Good Hunting, and Good Luck!

Have Fun

Yesterday was the first day of archery season in our area, and 3 hours after this post my 15 year old daughter got her first deer. We ground most of it, because we were'nt sure of canning process, next one will be canned though. Thanks for the advice

Congrats to your daughter Mikki! She must be so excited!!!

You don't have to ground all that meat though. Slice some up for jerky, chop some for stew.. leave the roasts whole.

Lots of different ways to cut and then freeze.
Have fun!!!

I thought she was going to cry when she called me to tell me she shot one ( I was in another stand about 75 yards away) so yes she was very excited!! i'm trying to use up what we have from last year, husband got 5 deer and didn't ask how i wanted it cut when he did it, after the frist one told him i wanted some cubbed,sliced,etc. but when he got the other ones totally forgot what i said and ground it all. Made some sausage though, but still had a ton of ground. I haven't used regular ground beef in like 3 years. anyways just trying to use whats left and figured jerky would be best because it goes fast in our house. Thanks

5 WOW!
I thought we had too much with the three hubby got last year.
It's just the two of us at home now...so we've still got a lot. :)

He got one during every season archery,muzzeloader, and two during regular shot gun season. The fifth i actually shot then he shot it agian because he thought i missed ( ye of little faith) . there were four of us in the house so we went through most of it. I just want to use up last years before we fill the freezer with this years.

LOL... he'd be my husbands hero! This was his first year with archery. He's always used a modern firearm before..
( no deer yet..but, I'm not giving up hope!!)

I can all my venison. It is very simple. You must use a canner. I pack it raw tightly in quart jars. In each jar I put 2 beef boullion cubes. Cap it without liquid and then can it according to the same way you can beef. I can't give you the times and pressure because I have to look it up everytime I do it. If you check on Balls website it should give you those specific directions. The meat will make its on juice. Your venison will be very tender.

I have put juice and all in a saucepan and then poured it over bisquits. It does fall apart and does not leave large chunks of meat which we don't like so I have adapted how I prepare it. Below is my own recipe.

Gently remove the venison from the jar (reserve the juice for gravy)
Toss the pieces of meat in flour, season it if you choose, I don't.
After it is well coated with flour brown it in butter (it takes quite a bit of butter as the flour will absorb it) I usually continue to add butter as needed until it is nice and brown and crispy.
Make gravy from the juice, you may need to add water to the juice depending on how much gravy you need, but not too much to dilute the flavor.

I make homemade noodle, but you could use store bought.

Put noodles on plate top with meat then cover with gravy, serve with biscuits.

My family loves it!

I also eat straight from the jar cold.

Canning venison is what influenced me to can. I started last year. I use the raw pack method. I made venison stroganoff last week with egg noodles and sourcreme and mushrooms and it was great! I soak my meat for an hour in brine after cutting it, then rinse it and pack it in the jars. I add hot water to the proper headspace and process.

Once you have a pressure canner you will discover all kinds of stuff you can can. I like to do beans (dried and soaked) and other meats like chicken. I also have done ground venison but cooked it first, put it in jars and filled the space with tomato juice. I just tried this for the first time last week, still haven't tasted it yet. I should be testing some this coming week, I'll post an after action report.

Back
Top Bottom