Drying Fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben_Lines

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just a quick question. What is the best way of drying out fruit? I would love to know because I would love to put dried fruit on my cereal.

Thanks,
Ben:)

Alton Brown and his good eats show has an episode on this.

I do not fully remember all the parts he used, but he used a big fan, some air conditioner filters, some bungee cable, and something else I believe.

Another method he used was an oven method on a very low setting.

You pretty much got it kleenex. A box fan, furnace filters, and bungee cords to hold it all together. works great.

Ok, so far so good guys! Is this process simple? Or is there a simpler way?
Btw how much do eletric dehydrators cost?

Thanks,
Ben

This page will help you see how much they cost.

It is a very simple process. If you are using the electric type then you just put the cut up fruit in and turn it on.

If you are using Alton Browns method then you just put the cut up fruit on the filters and bungee then to the fan and turn it on.

This page will help you see how much they cost.

It is a very simple process. If you are using the electric type then you just put the cut up fruit in and turn it on.

If you are using Alton Browns method then you just put the cut up fruit on the filters and bungee then to the fan and turn it on.

Are there any guides on the internet with pictures?

Depending on the microwave manufacturer the free cookbook that comes with the microwave can have tips for drying food in the microwave. I plunked down the cash for a Excaliper food dehydrater and have dried morel mushrooms, herbs, vegggies, and made jerky in it.

Alton Brown and his good eats show has an episode on this.

I do not fully remember all the parts he used, but he used a big fan, some air conditioner filters, some bungee cable, and something else I believe.

Sounds like an episode of MacGyver! :)

Back
Top Bottom