"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Cook

Found this spaghetti recipe! Can I use it?

Well I've been giving the neighbor down the road a ton of tomatos from my garden this year because I really don't have a ton of recipies for them. She pulled out a book that she has always used called: Farm Journal's Freezing & Canning Cookbook". I think it is the 1973 edition. Here is the recipie. I think that the cooking times are wrong. Also it didn't call for lemon juice which all my other tomato recipies call for. Could I use the processing times required by the "Ball Blue Book of Preserving" for their "seasoned tomato sauce" (pg 23) recipie? I think it calls for processing 35 minutes for quarts.

Meatless Spagetti Sauce

Heat and serve, or combine with freshly made meat balls if you wish.

16 lbs. ripe tomatoes
1 c. chopped onions
4 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp canning/pickling salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground bay leaves
2 cloves garlic minced ( or 1 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp basil leaves
1 tsp oregano leaves
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
2 tblsp brown sugar

* Dip tomatos into boiling water for 1/2 minute to loosen skins. Cool in cold water. Drain. Remove skins and cores; quarter.
* In 12-qt kettle, saute onions in olive oil until translucent (do not brown). Poor in tomatoes. Bring to boil; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
* Put through sieve of food mill. Return juice to kettle, adding remaining ingrediants. Simmer uncovered, 1 1/2 - 2 hours or untill thick and mixture rounds up on spoon.
* Pour into 3 hot pint jars, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.
* Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type. Makes 3 pints.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Head Chef

why do you think the cooking times are wrong?
I don't know about the processing, have you compared the recipe with others in the Ball book?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Cook

Well because I think this book is from 1973 and cooking times have changed on a lot of things back than. I compare the recipies that are the same as the Blue Book and the Blue Books recipies call for longer cooking times. My Blue Book doesn't have a spagetti Sauce Recipie.

This is the closest recipie I could find in the Blue Book.

45 lbs tomatos
6 cups chopped onions
12 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tblsp oregano
6 bay leaves
1 tblsp black peper
1 1/2 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup salt (optional)
2 tsp crushed red pepers (optional)
1 tblsp bottled lemon juice per pint jar.

35 minutes processing time.

The only real difference I see is basil, parsley, and brown sugar instead of white. Also the cooking time.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Head Chef

Do you mean processing time? Because water evaporates (cooking the sauce down until thickened) at the same rate it always has...

Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Head Chef

Here are some ideas:
home canning spaghetti sauce how to - Google Search

Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Cook

I am talking about processing in the jars time.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

O.K., then yes, I believe that recommended processing times are longer now. Not sure, but could you just add lemon juice to your recipe to make it acidic enough?

Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

It seems to me that the cooking process is done for the sauce with 1 1/2 to 2 hours ( as long as it is at the right consistancy, so all you want to do is seal the jars in the waterbath. 20 minutes should be long enough provided the usually rule - jars are sterilized and hot, lids were sitting in boiling water from the kettle for at least 5 minutes, the rims are clean on the jar. Tighten not too tight but firm.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Cook

I was thinking of adding the 1tbsp lemon juice and using the cook time for the "Seasoned Tomato Sauce" recipie in the Ball Blue Book. I don't think you can really over cook the sauce by increasing the processing in the jars time. I just don;t want to get someone sick.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
Sous Chef

You need the lemon juice to make sure it's acidic enough. Otherwise, pressure can it.

This is how I process my spaghetti sauce (pressure canning) just to be on the safe side. You can never be overly cautious with canning.