"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
The cooked ones might be the ones in the regular SureJell package. I have NO room for jam in my freezers!! Jam is just too easy to preserve.
I agree, Gretchen.

When I first visited the USA, one of the things that really flabbergasted me was the SIZE of your refrigerators. Mine, in England, was about 2 ft wide by 3 ft tall. The smallest one I ever saw was about double that!! In fact, until I was about 8, we didn't even have a fridge - just a cold box.

Then, of course, food was purchased daily, to be used daily - it was barely 15 years after the end of WWII.
All surplus fruit was made into jam, jelly, mush, or whatever,and stored in the pantry, where (hopefully) it lasted until spring.
Jam is so easy to make, as Gretchen says. Fruit, sugar, cook, bottle, cover, store.
I made some today, according to my mum's basic recipe: 1 kg fruit (blackberries) , 1 kg sugar, water. boil for 20 minutes.

I don't use the thin plastic rounds and rubber bands that she used; I use twist -off tops and a 10 minute water bath, but I can assure you the stuff tastes great - and will do in a year's time. I think the whole process ( including answering the phone, chatting to my employees, etc., took about 40 minutes.

I urge you to try it. Keep your fridge for important things like pâté de foie gras!!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Clive, you really don't even need to water process jams and jellies. Put the boiling jam in clean jars, screw on the cap and invert. They will seal. The high sugar content is preservative enough--if everything is clean. I put the jars through the dishwasher.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Bo0pY
I would like a jelly or jam recipe using any type of fruit, thats quick and simple since it will be my first time trying to make it. Not really sure how its done, but if it involves a pressure cooker I probably wont do it. Ive seen one of those things blow before as a child. Scared the bejeebus outta me !
Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo0pY
I would like a jelly or jam recipe using any type of fruit, thats quick and simple since it will be my first time trying to make it. Not really sure how its done, but if it involves a pressure cooker I probably wont do it. Ive seen one of those things blow before as a child. Scared the bejeebus outta me !
Firstly - thanks, Gretchen - I took your advice in advance today, whilst making some Guava jam. No bath - perfect seal. Thanks!

bo0py- 1 kg fruit , 900 gms sugar, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Pectin might , or might not be important, although I've made many, many jams without it and the texture is just fine.
heat the mixture in a large stainless steel pan ( aluminium will oxidise) until it boils, then cook for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Bottle immediately, eat the following day!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
Senior Cook

ok - you guys make it sound so easy..... peaches are in season right now and I can never find peach jam in the store...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ
ok - you guys make it sound so easy..... peaches are in season right now and I can never find peach jam in the store...
1 kiloton of peaches...

( No, let me start again - the thought of all those juicy fruits,mmm.)

1 kg ( or 2.2 lbs) peaches
800 gms ( about 1 lb 14 ozs) white sugar
a 1" cinnamon stick
A little water if necessary.

Wash and stone the peaches. Chop into small pieces if you like your jam chunky, or blitz in the food processor with a little water if you like your jam smooth. Put into a large stainless steel pot, add the sugar and the cinnamon stick ( you can leave this out too, if you don't like cinnamon).
Bring to the boil then lower the heat slightly and cook for about 20 -25 minutes, stirring frequently. Use the "cold saucer" method to see when it's ready, ie. drop a little on a cold saucer and it should jell. remove the cinnamon stick and bottle in sterilised jars.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
Master Chef

The big difference between freezer jam and "canned" jam is the amount of sugar and acid in the recipe - both affect the cooking time, taste, and texture of the final product. Since freezer jam is preserved by temperature - it needs much less sugar (which is a preservative because it also acidic) and added acid - usually in the form of lemon juice.

It is safe to use a "canner" jam recipe and freeze it - but it is not advisable to use a freezer jam recipe to be preserved by any other "canning" method since the acid level will be too low.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

THANK YOU, CLIVE!
for the recipe....