Freezing processed pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
My wife and I went to a market and bought eight little pie pumpkins. I cleaned out and pressure cooked two of them, and then pureed the cooked pumpkin. I ended up with 3 1/3 cups. I'm not ready to do the pies right now. One of the recipes calls for 2 cups of pumpkin and it's sitting in a covered bowl in the fridge right now, along with the extra 1/3 cups.

What would be the best way to freeze this for long term future use? I was thinking a series of freezer bags with 2 cups per bag.
:neutral:

It should freeze just fine, but if you have a FoodSaver, that would help it last longer and better in the freezer. The only thing I would do differently is I'd store it in 1-cup packages instead of 2 cups. Many of my recipes that use pumpkin call for only 1 cup. It's easier to take out 2 packages and use them than to take one out and have some leftover. Just my take.

Camper, I know it will work! One time I raised the little devils and my DW went goofy freezing pumpkin. She loved it cooked and seasoned like sweet potaotes. Anyway it got to where it was on the table 2 and 3 times a week. I finally told her "No more pumpkin or I'll file papers on you":LOL: She used the freezer boxes rather than the bags!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

:)Thanks for the responses! The foodsaver device looks like a good investment but my van's brakes need to be done soon, hence I'll have to wait.

I'll have to check out my pumpkin pie recipes to see if I wish to freeze in 1 cup portions. I'll freeze in the plastic bags as I originally intended.

When I first started gardening, I planted 50 foot row of pumpkins. My FIL said, "Connie, those things run a long way." I told him the book said to allow 10 square feet for each hill, and he just shrugged.

They went everywhere. They over-ran my cucumbers, tore down my pole beans, and even grew up into the multiflora rose fence. The groundhog chomped on some of them, but I still canned 24 pints of pumpkin. Boy, is it a booger to can! Because it's so dense, you have to leave it in the canner a long time. I think freezing would definitely be the way to go.

Yep - getting the brakes done is far more important than getting a FoodSaver! But never fear ... you can use those zip-top freezer bags with nearly as good results, and a lot cheaper. They come in pint, quart and gallon sizes ... but do get the Freezer bags - not the regular ones.

Simply put your puree into the bag and zip the top almost shut, press out all of the air you can, and finish zipping it shut. It won't be as airtight as is you used a FoodSave - but there will not be that much air. Then you can lay them flat in the freezer until frozen - then you can store them standing up if you wish. Be sure to label the bag with what it is, how much is in the bag, and the date you put it in the freezer.

I do this with liquidy (is that a word?) things like soup, stew, chili, BBQ sauce, etc ... not a problem!

Camper,
I'm with Katie on this one. It would be wiser to freeze 1 cup servings as it would be easier to defrost. Happy pie baking!

Back
Top Bottom