Freezing sweet corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I wonder if anyone here has ever had any luck freezing corn without blanching it.
I have always blanched the ears, then cut off the corn and bagged it up, but that is such a mess. I just wonder why I couldn't cut the raw corn off the ears and freeze it like that, since it's going to be cooked anyway.

no help here Connie,. we have always blanched it, and it IS a mess. I have been using a lot of last years frozen corn lately, since I, and the crows, are looking at a large amount of corn to be ready soon. I am using it in a cold bean salad, and am glad it has been blanched, cause it would not work so well if it was raw.:)

Miss Connie

I have known people who have taken corn from the field, straight into a black garbage bag, and into the freezer. I tried 100 ears one time and I did not like it.

Corn on the cob hear is shucked, silked, washed, blanched, cooled, bagged and frozen.

Corn off the cob is shucked, silked, washed, cut and scraped, (water added in an amount according to if it is sweet or field corn) blanched, cooled, and bagged.

I would suggest the latter method rather than cutting it off the cob, and just freezing it. However it may be interesting to try several dozen ears that way as a test, if you have alot of corn. I wouldn't put all of my "eggs in one basket" however.

Have Fun!!:ermm: (It is time consuming):)

Enjoy!!

Bob, how much water do you add for sweet corn? How about if I put the cut-off corn in a large bowl and nuke it a little? I could even go ahead and add butter and salt to it.

Caine, I never knew that there was a Clarence Birdseye. I googled the name, and there was all kinds of info about him. I saw brine mentioned...do you suppose that was just for meat, or for vegies, too?

Miss Connie..

With Merit Sweet corn I add very little if any water to blanch depending on maturity.

With Pencil Cob (kinda like shoe-peg) We use 2 cups of corn, to one cup of water for blanching. Coming out of the freezer sometimes we add a little more water/milkto get the desired consistency! This corn also makes great meal!

Enjoy!

Seeing as it is almost corn season here (August), I had asked this same question regarding freezing . I was told to blanch and then allow to cool, and then freeze. Needless to say, the corn was very tough after boiling, and I dont think steaming would have made a difference either. Eat it fresh and be happy to have the bounty of the season :) Or if you do freeze it on the cob, or off the cob, it may be ok in stews or chili, etc.

It might have just been the corn, Amber. I have frozen some that was pretty good.
Don't worry...we'll eat all of it fresh that we can. But we have more than we can eat right now, and I've had good luck freezing corn before.

I was just looking for a short-cut. I think I'm going to use Uncle Bob's method and cut it off the cob first, then cook it a bit.

I sure appreciate y'alls advice!

Miss Connie...

If it is sweet corn then don't add any water unless ya just have to. As you cook it a bit it will go from bright yellow to a darker yellow, and thicken somewhat. Cook it slow, and sitr often. It will stick/burn if the heat is to high! Cool completely if ya gonna put it in bags. If ya use freezer boxes it can go in the freezer a little warm.

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Gosh, I've always just cut the corn off the cob and put it in freezer bags and, then, into the freezer. Never noticed any off taste, etc. We love it that way. I don't think I've ever blanched corn, on or off the cob and I've been putting up corn for many, many years.

We ended up cutting the corn off the cob into a large pasta bowl. We added just a tiny bit of water and smidgeon of sea salt, and nuked it, stirring now and then, until the corn was hot all the way through. We then allowed it to cool a bit, then dished it up into 1 quart storage bags.
We tasted it, and while it's not completely cooked, it is quite delicous.

Katie, I'm glad to have that information. I'll keep it in mind next time.

I picked corn yesterday, and was too tired to go thru the whole process of cooking, cutting, bagging last night at 8 o'clock. So, I blanched the corn, cooled it some in water, and put it in the fridge.

This morning, I cut it off the cob, and I was surprised at how much less mess it made completely cold. Very few spatters as I cut.

I use a big sheet cake pan with the cutting board on the bottom.

My kids are spoiled--if I put corn on the table, it better be home-grown.

This time of year we always come home to grocery bags of sweet corn on our front porch....neighbors! I shuck it, blanch it, cut it and freeze it with no additives.

My grandpa farmed corn his whole life. We'd run in the fields and eat the corn right off the cob...so sweet and delicious. Then we'd get yelled at by grandma for running in the corn fields! That was a big no-no!

I started freezing sweet corn three years ago. My neighbor always cuts and freezes it without blanching. I did that the first year, then the past two years I blanched it first. I will tell you the quality and the yield is much greater when blanched. This June I blanched 60 ears which yielded 18 cups.

I set up a small table near a hose connection and cut the kernals of the cob in a large, shallow bowl. Any splatters can be washed away in between batches. I also fill a cleaned ice chest with water and ice and let the blanched cobs get very cold before cutting. Clean up is minimal and the effort is well worth it.

Constance said:
I wonder if anyone here has ever had any luck freezing corn without blanching it.
I have always blanched the ears, then cut off the corn and bagged it up, but that is such a mess. I just wonder why I couldn't cut the raw corn off the ears and freeze it like that, since it's going to be cooked anyway.

My Grandmother (and I) have always cut, blanched, and then froze. It never occurred to me to do it otherwise. Might be a little easier.

The way Kim and I did it is considerably easier than any method I've ever tried before. He spread newspapers on the counter and the floor, which really helped helped with cleaning up the mess, and we had no messy stove to contend with.
That didn't keep me from getting my glasses splattered, though. :LOL: Next time, I'll take Sparrow and Sanerac's advice, and chill the cleaned corn first. Great idea!

Angie said:
My grandpa farmed corn his whole life. We'd run in the fields and eat the corn right off the cob...so sweet and delicious.

....Then we would go over and grab a ripe tomato off the plant, shake some salt on it, and eat it like an apple! ;)

Uncle Bob said:
....Then we would go over and grab a ripe tomato off the plant, shake some salt on it, and eat it like an apple! ;)

And then we would take the crab apples and throw them at the cows, or take corn cobs and throw them at the hens to collect the eggs! :LOL:

Connie - it is best to blanch the corn before freezing otherwise the corn keeps "growinig". In simple terms - there is an enzyme in corn that, even when in the freezer, causes the corn to grow, basically past it's freshness peak. Don't under blanch either. Once the corn is fully blanched drain it and put it in an ice bath for just as long as you blanched it. This assures the freshest corn when you are ready to eat it. Also, don't thaw before cooking. This explanation at least gets the most important factor out there which is, freshest flavor later!

Back
Top Bottom