"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Master Chef

Freezing sweet corn

I wonder if anyone here has ever had any luck freezing corn without blanching it.
I have always blanched the ears, then cut off the corn and bagged it up, but that is such a mess. I just wonder why I couldn't cut the raw corn off the ears and freeze it like that, since it's going to be cooked anyway.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Executive Chef

no help here Connie,. we have always blanched it, and it IS a mess. I have been using a lot of last years frozen corn lately, since I, and the crows, are looking at a large amount of corn to be ready soon. I am using it in a cold bean salad, and am glad it has been blanched, cause it would not work so well if it was raw.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Connie

I have known people who have taken corn from the field, straight into a black garbage bag, and into the freezer. I tried 100 ears one time and I did not like it.

Corn on the cob hear is shucked, silked, washed, blanched, cooled, bagged and frozen.

Corn off the cob is shucked, silked, washed, cut and scraped, (water added in an amount according to if it is sweet or field corn) blanched, cooled, and bagged.

I would suggest the latter method rather than cutting it off the cob, and just freezing it. However it may be interesting to try several dozen ears that way as a test, if you have alot of corn. I wouldn't put all of my "eggs in one basket" however.

Have Fun!! (It is time consuming)

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I wonder if anyone here has ever had any luck freezing corn without blanching it.
Clarence Birdseye has, both on and off the cobb.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Master Chef

Bob, how much water do you add for sweet corn? How about if I put the cut-off corn in a large bowl and nuke it a little? I could even go ahead and add butter and salt to it.

Caine, I never knew that there was a Clarence Birdseye. I googled the name, and there was all kinds of info about him. I saw brine mentioned...do you suppose that was just for meat, or for vegies, too?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Connie..

With Merit Sweet corn I add very little if any water to blanch depending on maturity.

With Pencil Cob (kinda like shoe-peg) We use 2 cups of corn, to one cup of water for blanching. Coming out of the freezer sometimes we add a little more water/milkto get the desired consistency! This corn also makes great meal!

Enjoy!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Seeing as it is almost corn season here (August), I had asked this same question regarding freezing . I was told to blanch and then allow to cool, and then freeze. Needless to say, the corn was very tough after boiling, and I dont think steaming would have made a difference either. Eat it fresh and be happy to have the bounty of the season Or if you do freeze it on the cob, or off the cob, it may be ok in stews or chili, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

It might have just been the corn, Amber. I have frozen some that was pretty good.
Don't worry...we'll eat all of it fresh that we can. But we have more than we can eat right now, and I've had good luck freezing corn before.

I was just looking for a short-cut. I think I'm going to use Uncle Bob's method and cut it off the cob first, then cook it a bit.

I sure appreciate y'alls advice!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Connie...

If it is sweet corn then don't add any water unless ya just have to. As you cook it a bit it will go from bright yellow to a darker yellow, and thicken somewhat. Cook it slow, and sitr often. It will stick/burn if the heat is to high! Cool completely if ya gonna put it in bags. If ya use freezer boxes it can go in the freezer a little warm.

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Gosh, I've always just cut the corn off the cob and put it in freezer bags and, then, into the freezer. Never noticed any off taste, etc. We love it that way. I don't think I've ever blanched corn, on or off the cob and I've been putting up corn for many, many years.