"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Garlic has turned color?

New to canning here...

I canned some green beans on Tuesday and just noticed that the sliced garlic has turned a greenish/blue color. I suspect this isn't a good thing?

Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I never fool around with ANYTHING that looks suspicious -- I've had food poisoning three times in my life, and I don't want to repeat it. Discoloration MIGHT be due to just a transfer of the color from the green beans to the garlic, but it could be something more serious. If you don't know for sure, dump it!

Garlic is dangerous in certain situations because it can be a prime breeding ground for deadly botulism, and improper home canning is a source of botulism poisoning. I understand that botulism in garlic is primarily a problem when it's stored in oil, but I suspect it could also occur if the canning was not properly done (inadequate heat, not heated long enough, etc.).

I'm only guessing here, but I strongly believe that one should be very cautious when it comes to food and possible contamination. When in doubt, throw it out!

Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That was a question on one of the cooking shows and they said it is a chemical in the garlic that makes some turn bluish. It isn't bad and doesn't hurt to eat it. I've never seen it happen, though.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_cup
New to canning here...

I canned some green beans on Tuesday and just noticed that the sliced garlic has turned a greenish/blue color. I suspect this isn't a good thing?
Can you post your recipe so that we can help out?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ginger does the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

If the garlic is young, it can turn colour. I bought some at the market a few years ago. When I pickled it, it turned almost neon green. I emailed the company whose recipe I used, and that was the answer they gave me. We all ate it, and are still here.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Or perhaps it just absorbed color from the surrounding vegetable?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Garlic turns blue-green in acidic environments. It's harmless.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_cup
I'm guessing you made "pickled" green beans. It's just a harmless chemical reaction due to iron, tin or aluminum in your cooking pot, water or water pipes reacting with the pigments in the garlic - young garlic that has not been aged will usually do this. It is perfectly safe to eat - as others have noted.

It is NOT an indication of botulism.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

well, this was a help to me, thanks to all of you guys for letting me kno it wasnt totally abnormal. The other nite i baked cauliflower florets with sliced elephant garlic,salt,pepper and some olive oil..........when the dish was done i had noticed the garlic slivers were light blue......this was very odd to me, at first i thought maybe transfer of color then i realized there was no color(lol) from the cauliflower......so i am to assume that perhaps there was a reaction from the ceramic type vessel i cooked in?