"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman
i have this great sauce that i would like to can up for family
but i dont know how to do it
it has

garlic
wine
soy
worcestershise
suger

is it canable

thx
Just check out the canning procedures for animal, mineral, dairy, starch, vegetable, etc. Your secret ingredient probably falls into one of these categories.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Is knowing the PH necessary for knowing whether to use a boiling water bath or a pressure canner? I thought that a pressure canner is necessary for canning meat products, but figured that you could boil water can most other things. If this recipe is has sugar in it, and given the rest of the ingredients, do you have to have a certain amount of sugar in proportion to the other ingredients to know that it is safe to boil water can?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

DinaFine ... high acid foods can be "water bath" canned - low acid foods must be "pressure" canned - and it has nothing to do with if it is a meat product or not! For example - cream style corn has no meat component, but must be pressure canned. Spend a little time browsing around the information available on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website to see which canning method is necessary for which food product.

The problem with trying to give madman a definitive answer on canning his sauce is because of the ambiguity of his description (no recipe and no method). Is there enough salt or sugar to preserve it by a water canning method? I certainly didn't see any amounts of ingredients to base an attempt to calculate a ratio on! As madman said ... "there is more to the process - and is my secret sauce". As long as the recipe and process is his secret there is little we can do to give him an answer.

Believe it or not - we do get questions from time to time from people wanting to create a marketable product that want us to give them the answers on how to do it without giving us the information to work from.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Freeze the suce. Or--read the Blue Book--canning and peserving Bible. You should find recipes similar, close enough, to yours. Follow that one. I would suspect that s simple hot, sterile jar (s), hot sauce, new jar seals and lids( they come in box sets in canning dept) Then, fill to 1/4 inch from top, wipe jar edges well with damp paper towel, put on warm seal/lid. Immerse in boiling water with full 2 or3 inches of water to cover jar. Return to boil. BOIL for 10 minutes with the worshetire, soy sauce, maybe viengar? will be similar to canning salsa Good luck. Graysmoke