I need a dill pickle recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
Last summer, I made my first attempt of canning dill pickles. I tried 4 different recipe's, but they all were too sour. I tried altering the recipe, by adjusting the vinegar amount, but no luck.

Have a look at the Mrs. Wage's dill pickle mixes. I've been very happy with their products, you can find them at Walmart or on Amazon, probably other places too. I wouldn't mess with the Ball Blue Book recipes or the ones from your extension agency too much, as they're TNT and safe.

Last edited:
I'd like to reiterate what GotGarlic says, don't change the vinegar to water ratio.
The recipe listed in the link above is 1 and 1/2 quarts vinegar to 2 quarts of water. That is a ratio of 3:4, vinegar:water.
If you can find an approved recipe (through a university extension office) with less vinegar to water, then it is okay. I don't think I've seen any like that recently.

Emeril has a dill pickle recipe using a ratio of 2 parts vinegar to 2 parts water, 1:1.
In his recipe he also adds sugar. Sugar will sometimes help lessen the vinegar flavor a little.

You can also try fermenting pickles without vinegar. It takes a number of weeks and the pickles have a much more gentle sour taste. These are the kind that are available in old fashioned deli's. You can google and search here for naturally fermented dill pickles.

Back
Top Bottom