Incorrect Canning Methods - Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madawaskagurl

Assistant Cook
Hello newbie canner here

I did some tomato canning on the weekend, and thankfully read up on it more on Monday only to discover that I did not follow the correct way of canning tomatoes, so my first question is, How quickly does bacteria start to form, and is there any way to salvage the tomatoes? or should they just be thrown out. They've been sitting for 2 days now. Can I just empty them down the drain or should the whole bottle be destroyed.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi and welcome to DC :)

Bacteria already present in the food start to multiply immediately and can reach dangerous levels in a couple of hours. If your jars were not processed long enough or didn't seal correctly, they are not fit to eat. You can dispose of the contents and reuse the jars and rings; you will need new lids.

A reliable site for information on canning is the National Center for Home Food Preservation. You might also consider buying a recipe book, like the "Ball Blue Book" or "Food in Jars" (one of my favorites). Ball, the company that makes the Ball jars, has information on their website as well: Ball

Thanks very much for the reply, that is exactly what I was looking for, yes next time,
I'm going by the book, literally.

Thank you

What went wrong, Mada?

BTW, welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Afore I trust my innards to incorrect/incomplete canning methods, following recommended methods is paramount, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the FDA, USDA, or the National Center for Home Food Preservation, or Ball....
I would trust them rather than some websites out there. Googling is fine but you have to look at the source. I ain't following advice from some website called Joe Blow's Handy Dandy Guide to Home Canning, or similar such places.
BTW, Welcome to D.C., Madawaskagurl!

Afore I trust my innards to incorrect/incomplete canning methods, following recommended methods is paramount, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the FDA, USDA, or the National Center for Home Food Preservation, or Ball....
I would trust them rather than some websites out there. Googling is fine but you have to look at the source. I ain't following advice from some website called Joe Blow's Handy Dandy Guide to Home Canning, or similar such places.
BTW, Welcome to D.C., Madawaskagurl!

Oh no, say it ain't so, Hoot! JBHDGTHC is my canning bible! :LOL:

If you are new to canning you might just want to chalk this one up to experience and move on. Toss the tomatoes. Keep the jars and rings but not the lids. I know it feels like a sacrifice but it will only cost a few bucks. How much would an emergency room visit cost? Start over and you will never regret the choice.

Welcome to DC!

It would really be helpful if you told us what you think/know you did incorrectly so we can help you learn (in a positive, pro-social, nonjudgmental manner). I do agree that you should toss them but fill us in on your process so we can help you not repeat it.

Well first of all, thanks for all the responses, I tossed the tomatoes and lids as soon as i got home from work yesterday, cleaned the jars, and the big mistake I made was not putting any lemon in the jars and not giving them a water bath (yikes, I know). So the next time, I will follow instructions to the letter. It was kind of a last minute thing, looked on you tube on how to do it, goes to show you someone with a little information can be very dangerous,

Not going to let it happen again.
Thanks Again
Mada (c/o Dawgluver)

All canning needs processing. My friend never processes her tomatoes and it scares me to death. I don't can anything that requires a pressure cooker, as I am wary of pressure cookers. It doesn't take that long for hot water baths, just a bit of patience is all! It is worth the wait! Happy canning!!

Back
Top Bottom