"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 06-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Jam Day! Sink or Swim!

Okay, I've never made home-made Jams and Jellys before, but I've always kinda wanted to.

Careful what you wish for.

One of our church members noticed that an army of squirrels were stripping his Plum trees so he did what he called an "Emergency Pick". Absolutly overwhelmed with fruit he said he'd bring us a some when he picked my mother up for the church potluck last night.

What he brought, was a BUCKET that weighed out at 12 pounds (13 if you count the bucket too). I grabbed my Grandmothers Plum Jelly recipe that I litterally grew up on (turns out it was cut from the back of a box of Sure Jell. Sneaky Gramma!) and sent the wife to the store for 2 boxes of jelly-jars (I already have 1 box), lids, Sugar, Pectin etc. I figure (according to the Sure Jell recipe for Jam) that I'm going to need about 30 half-pint jelly jars!!

So it's sink or swim time! LOL! by the time this weekend is over I will probably have become an instant expert on how to make Plum Jam.

Pray for me
~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

prayin' here, Raven. Sounds like you will have all the necessary gear. Bon courage!!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Thanks Mudbug :D

They really worked. My first batch came out beautifully. I was a 1 cup short on juice so I just poured a cup of water in it (LOL) before adding the pectin and sugar but you can't tell it. The end result was still real fruity. :D

It's somewhere between Jelly and Jam. It's clear like jelly but spreads like Jam.

The recipe called for the whole fruit (minus pits) to be used but instead after I cooked it down I ran it through the ricer to seperate the pulp from the skins (I really didn't want the skins) and it came out as a spreadable jelly. :)

(BTW, don't ask why a guy in Arkansas has a UT apron LOL! They might just kick me out of the state hee hee hee).

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Congratulations on your jam/jelly making endeavour. I love homemade jam. My Grandma used to make blackberry jam every summer. One summer it turned out runny and we used it for syrup on our pancakes, but is still tasted good.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Head Chef

It looks beautiful! Such a clear bright colour. Its a relaxing experience making jam, eh?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

Congrats Raven! Sometimes the hardest part is just getting up the nerve to try something new.

FYI - technically you made jam since you used a puree of the fruit pulp. Jelly is made from just the strained juice (no pulp) and preserves are more of a "mashed" pulp which has some pieces of fruit larger than a puree.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Next time make jam without using pectin as it is much better and uses half the sugar. I use 4 C of chopped plums and 3 C of sugar and 1/4 C lemon juice. Cook until it slides off the spoon in a clump. For an added delight add 1 C raspberries to the plums.... need not add more sugar.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Head Chef

Go Vols

Nice jam

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Sous Chef

LOL! Thanks gang.

Oh goodness, Day 2, Batch 2. I only got 7 half-pints (the recipe said 10 but..) the first day and 8 today so I'm at 15 half-pints and boy am I beat. I may take tomorrow off

At one point today I was ladeling the molten sugar syrup into the jars and SPLAT, a big glob hit my hand and stuck like napalm. I dropped the ladel and funnel PDQ, wiped it off and stuck my hand under cold running water, then hit it with some Aloe Vera. It pinked up and stung a bit then went right back to normal **Whew**

You know instead of making jam out of the last 2 pounds of Plums I have I may just cook it down to syrup for pancakes or iced tea or something and can it just as syrup. When it's cooking down it just smells SOOOO good.

Skillet >> LOL! My sister lives in Knoxville so she sent me some Vols paraphanalia and I sent her back some Razorback stuff hee hee.

~ Raven ~

Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I only got 7 half-pints (the recipe said 10 but..) the first day and 8 today ...
If it makes you feel any better, in the 10 years I've been jammin I have NEVER gotten the exact quantity the recipe says - usually just slightly under, a couple of times just slightly over. I don't remember my grandma ever getting "exact" jars full either - there was always one jar that wasn't quite full and got eaten up in a couple of days.

Sorry to hear you got burned .... yes, hot jam is like liquid napalm!