"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 02-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Jam vs Jelly

What is the difference between jelly and jam. I live in HK and I have a tough time finding jelly. Seems all there is jam and preserves.

Thanks...

Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Jelly is made from juice and jam is made from whole fruit. If you want to make jelly you boil the fruit and strain the solids out using the juice to make jelly.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

When I was in 4-H, I took a jams and jellies course. It was so much fun making the different kinds of jellies. Strawberry jam was my favorite, but the jellies were so easy to make if I recall correctly. The recipes called for frozen fruit juice concentrates. I remember making apple jelly and grape jelly for sure this way.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

But you also make your own juices that are much more flavorful. I'm sure that course used that for teaching purposes. For example I make blueberry and blackberry jellies. and if, for some reason your jelly does't "jell", you have syrup for pancakes.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

You can make apple jelly from the cores and peelings left after you've sliced apples for another use.
I used to make all kinds of jellies, jams and conserves when my kids were little. Elderberry is realy delicious if you add a bit of lemon juice. My grandma used to make strawberry/rhubarb jam that was awesome.