"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Juice for making jelly

I am new to canning and jelly making, this is really the first year that I have really got into doing these things and I think I am addicted. I love seeing the end result of all the hard work. My question is when you are making jelly such as apple jelly can you use store bought apple juice? This is the recipe that I want to try.7 cups apple juice 1 cup red cinnamon candies 8 cups white sugar 1 box Sure-Jell 1/2 teaspoon butter

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Head Chef

Yes, you can use regular store bought juice. If you can get sugar free or no sugar added, you will get a better tasting jelly (not so sweet).

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Moorebev...

When you consider the cost of juice, sugar, shur-gel, jar lids, time and effort. It is hardly worth the effort from that standpoint. However for fun, and to make something not on your grocers shelf, then...

Have fun, and Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

I've never made jelly from juice, but I regularly make jams and jelly from fruits and berries. There is no way in the world you can tell me that it is cheaper to buy them in the store. For example I just made some black currant jelly/jam/preserve (I do not know what it is called properly, actually had the whole thread here about it, and still can't figure it out what's what), anyway, the little jar, 5 o6 ounces cost like $5 box in the store. Did not cost me more than a buck, maybe less.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish I could ge my hands on some fresh black currants! They make great jelly, and are good made into a sauce of sorts. I've made blackberry jelly/jam both from wild and cultivated ones in my back yard It is my favorite! Well, next to crab apple! Apple jelly and grape I can buy for 99 cents a quart!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Jelly is clear and is made from the fruit's juice. There are no pieces of fruit in jelly.

Jam is made with the fruit and contains pieces of the fruit along with jelled liquid.

Preserves are jams with bigger pieces of fruit in the jar. Don't ask, I don't know how much bigger. All the jars in the market seem to be of preserves rather than jams.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorebev
I am new to canning and jelly making, this is really the first year that I have really got into doing these things and I think I am addicted. I love seeing the end result of all the hard work. My question is when you are making jelly such as apple jelly can you use store bought apple juice? This is the recipe that I want to try.7 cups apple juice 1 cup red cinnamon candies 8 cups white sugar 1 box Sure-Jell 1/2 teaspoon butter
If you enjoy something a little different you should try this recipe. My husband is addicted to the stuff.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/Recipes/Ja...plePieJam.html

I do it a little differently than the recipe; I cut my apples into thin slices as though I were making a pie and I cook them down in a little water until they are tinder and the water that I added to cook them in is reduced to almost a syrup. I don’t use any allspice (I don’t like it) and I increase the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons. I add the 1-1/4 cups of water that the recipe calls for to the hot apples then I add 1/2 cup of dried blueberries rather than raisins.

Then I continue with the recipe as written. I put the jelly into two sterilized quart jars and invert them on a tea towel on the counter for 10 minutes then turn them right side up. The jars seal and I store them in the frig. I don’t mess with the water bath; the jelly never lasts that long and I keep it stored in the frig. anyway.

We are out right now of I would post a picture of it. I’ll be making some soon and if you would like I’ll take a picture for you.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I wish I could ge my hands on some fresh black currants! They make great jelly, and are good made into a sauce of sorts. I've made blackberry jelly/jam both from wild and cultivated ones in my back yard It is my favorite! Well, next to crab apple! Apple jelly and grape I can buy for 99 cents a quart!
You don't need fresh currants, if you can find frozen ones you can use them the same way that you use the fresh ones. If all you can find is dried ones you can pour a little boiling water over them and let them sit to plump up and you can make jelly out of them.

We don't have any place around here where we can buy jelly for 99 a quart but even if we did I don't think it would taste as good as what we make. I was at the farmer’s market a few days ago and they had some pint jars of homemade Mayhaw jelly for $4.99 a jar and people will pay it to get homemade jelly.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior Cook

We are blessed with an abundance of berries, raspberries(black and red), blueberries, elderberries, blackberries and sour cherries in our backyard every year. I freeze some of the berries whole but to save freezer space I cook them down to juice and freeze the juice. I freeze the required amount for a batch of jelly so come winter when the garden harvesting is done I can settle down and make jelly! I cut the sugar a bit so the tartness of the berry comes through. It makes great Christmas gifts and the occasional thank you gift.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Betty that sounds good, I would love to see what it looks like thank you. I will have to try this.