Making Jelly - Pectin Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I am making jelly for the first time. The recipe I am using calls for liquid pectin, but I can not find that. All I can find is the powdered stuff. Are they interchangeable or do I need to keep looking for the liquid?

Here is the recipe I am using, but instead of the 3 orange bell peppers I am using 2 red bell peppers. I am also using 12 habaneros instead of the 5-10. Both of these changes are suggestions given to me by the person who gave me the recipe.

The information I have found says not to substitute one for the other. Here is one site.

Edit: Here is a better answer. Scroll to the answer section.

I finally found the liquid pectin after going to 4 stores. I made the jelly today and it came out great. It is very hot, but the heat does not linger in your mouth. After a few seconds you are left with just a pleasant tingle. The first bite hurts for a split second, but then you taste the wonderful flavor and it pain feels good.

I do not like cream cheese, but I am picture this going really well on a bagel with cream cheese.

I am so glad you finally found it. I had to look a bit too. I use Certo as well to make tabasco pepper jelly which I absolutely love.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom