Opinions, about my lime preserve, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
I scored a big bag of limes, at the weekend.
I plan to chop up the limes and grate the zest.
I will cook the limes and zest, with honey, water and some cardamon seeds.

What does everybody think. Would cardamon seeds taste good here?
And/or does anybody have any other comments or idea, to add.

Mel

Mel, to my taste, cardamon will not go well with the rest. Nevetheless, you can try a very small batch to see how it tastes to you.

What would u flavour it with, boufa?
I have most spices, in the house.

Mel

Mel, citrus fruits are very aromatic, as such there is no need for me to add any spices to them. When I do Greek preserves from the peels of lemon, pomelo, or Seville orange, I only add sugar and water. I also remove some rind by grating first to take out the bitterness, cutting into pieces, stringing them before boiling them briefly, then soaking in water a couple of times again to take away the bitterness and then cooking them.

Last edited:
I love lime marmalade, but I think a lime preserve with cardomon and perhaps cocnut could be intriging......though I would ditch the honey I think. Try a little and see what you think! Maybe make a tiny amount and plan to use it all quickly rather than store, or ditch it if you don't like it.

Thanks boufa.

I dont kow yet, whether to skip the cardamon or experiment

Mel

Wow Lulu
Coconut. What a good idea. I have some in the house, too. The coconut and cardamon is looking worth it, for its expermental value.

Mel

Hello Vera Blue

I dont have any tripple sec or Champagne, at the moment. Only rum and white wine.

Mel

What is this going to be when it finally gets made? I'm not clear on that at all.

Hello Candocook

Maybe u call it jam. Here in Germany, people call it compote.
U spread it on bread alone, or with butter.

Mel

Hello Lulu

I tried your idea, of the coconut and cardamon.
It turned out fantastic. I did it as an experiment,
but I am delighted, with the results.

Mel

Oh, I'm so pleased it worked for you. You must post your quantities, I might try it in the furture!

Hello Lulu

It is difficult to post my quantities, since I never measure of weigh anything.
I just add what I think looks right.
But put very little water in(or maybe none at all), unless u are using sugar, instead of honey. Plenty of honey sweetness is needed to balance the bitterness of the limes. And the honey makes the preserve set very well, if u dont add much water.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom