Pickle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
Is there a Pickle Forum?

I love pickles... and I like to make homemade Dill/Garlic Pickles. Unfortunately here in Utah, the farmers market does not have cucumbers until pretty late in the season. And according to the vendors I have spoken to, they do not like to grow small cucumbers for pickles because we pickle customers are too picky, we all want different sizes and basically we are just too much trouble.

Obviously the cucumbers in the grocery stores have been waxed and are thus not suitable for pickling.

Question 1. Is there a practical way to remove the wax?
Question 2. Can I cut the skin off the waxed pickles and still pickle the skinless fruit?
Question 3. I have followed carefully the recipes from the web and the pickles are always way to sour, and vinegary. Do you have a recipe that is not so tart?

Hopz said:

Question 1. Is there a practical way to remove the wax?
Question 2. Can I cut the skin off the waxed pickles and still pickle the skinless fruit?
Question 3. I have followed carefully the recipes from the web and the pickles are always way to sour, and vinegary. Do you have a recipe that is not so tart?

The wax washes off easily.

I'm not sure. Pickling skinless may be wirth a try

Post a recipe and let us offer variations.

Yes you can wash the wax off.

No, you can't pickle cucumbers without the sckin.

I pickle mine in the summer and enjoy them whole winter. Luckly I have a spear refrigerator to use for them I do not have to go thru whole canning process. I do not use vinegar. By the end of the season, like right now, they (the pickles) do become more sour, fermintation process never stops.

My house location makes growing pretty difficult. I am at 6000 feet elevation. Day before yesterday we had about 2 feet of snow. Growing season is short. Last year the cucumbers had it up to about one inch before the season gave up.

Washing? Sounds good, any particular sort of washing soap to use?

Charlie... could share a recipe and process for vinegar-less pickles? I do have spare refrigerator...

Like i said I will, but you'll have to remind me. I'm going to be away till probably the week of 24-th, but there is plenty of time before pickling season anyway.

Be sure to taste the cucumbers before you make the pickles. I bought a dozen cukes last summer to make Bread and Butter pickles and ended up throwing out the cucumbers as they were tasteless. I tried once to use English cukes but they do not have enough flavor for good pickles. I know you are talking about pickling ones but many are tasteless so taste before buying and making.

Back
Top Bottom