Refrigerator pickles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so the 6th ingredient is Vinegar, just before the Lactic Acid.
To my way of thinking that means vinegar quantity is more than the lactic acid.

I think it means that they added some lactic acid, but less then the vinegar they added. It was an ingredient list, not an analysis of the ingredients. They keep it in the fridge at the store and they tell you to refrigerate it, as opposed to saying to refrigerate after opening. It also says on the jar (in the picture) that it is:
BARREL CURED
FERMENTÉ EN BARRIL

The first 3 ingredients are cucumbers, water and salt. That's all you need to ferment them. They may have added lactic acid and vinegar later to comply with a standard minimum acidity required by your equivalent of the FDA and/or to adjust the flavor.

So technically speaking they are not "pickles", they are marinated cucumbers.
No, they are pickles. Marinated cucumbers are intended to be eaten within a day or two. Pickles made with a vinegsry brine are preserved for a longer period of time. Also, pickles don't have to be cucumbers. All kinds of vegetables, and even fruits, can be pickled.

really? OK, then...

how long will an open jar last as against pickles and marinated?

how long will an unopened jar last as against pickles and marinated?

As a novice refrigerator pickle maker (and thank you again DC members for the recipes) I have found that for two people a pint of refrigerator pickles lasts seven to ten days, and I'm not a big pickle eater.
The pickles are kept in the refrigerator until wanted on the table. The jar is not "sealed" but rather kept closed. It is a quick and easy way to use up a few cucumbers.

Refrigerator pickles are not processed (canned) so they generally last a week or so around here. I find they can get a bit squishy over time if they last longer than that. However, a pint will last a few days around here. I know of some who will make a bowl of pickles for a snack.

No, they are pickles. Marinated cucumbers are intended to be eaten within a day or two. Pickles made with a vinegsry brine are preserved for a longer period of time. Also, pickles don't have to be cucumbers. All kinds of vegetables, and even fruits, can be pickled.
Ok, my bad. I guess I am confusing pickling and fermenting. And that is going to open a whole can of worms, if we dig into it. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom