"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Location: Planet Earth, North of Florida, South of Alaska. (Arkansas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
It is an official title and you take a course of study to achieve it. Check with your local University Coop Extension for details.

And no I am not a Master Canner, mostly because the University Extension is not convenient in my area. You can however check your food preservation knowledge for free by taking an online self-study course provided by the Univ. of Georgia and the National Center for Home Food Preservation ([/SIZE]National Center for Home Food Preservation). I recommend it to everyone and you do get a Certificate after completing the course.[/FONT]

Make sure when you are doing your research that you keep in mind that canning made a major change in the 1990's causing all recipes and books to be reprinted and specifically tested in a laboratory by food scientists. Anything prior to that is considered unsafe, though there are a lot of people out there that prefer not to follow modern understanding.

It is not my intent here to debate issues or compare qualifications. I try to provide accurate information and their sources that will hopefully help people to learn the right way.
Mcnerd,

Believe me I’m not trying to get you to compare qualifications. Especially, not with me. Right now if you have canned more than 12 pints of peas in your life you’re already much more than qualified than me by experience. I’ve honestly taken it for granite from the beginning of our discussions you were more experienced than me and probably were giving me good advice. I’ve also book marked the web site with the pickled pepper recipe you posted. It will be a really useful site for me.

I also have no desire to start any kind of debate with you either. That has never been my intent. Wouldn’t that be pretty stupid on my part considering what I just told you about my experience?

I have asked you some questions that the answers seemed important to me, but you apparently don’t feel comfortable answering. Like about your canning experience, and how much you can, and what you can. No hidden motive, just curious. What really made so curious about this is the fact that you posted a recipe for me you haven’t tried yourself because it used lime and you believe lime is poison. I couldn’t understand why you would post a recipe for me you felt might poison you. I guess this made me think you may have some fears about canning caused by a lack of experience yourself.

I do feel like there may be a better forum somewhere for canning than this one. I really like this site and the forum setup. But, this site is mainly cooking oriented and not so canning and preserving oriented. I would probably be better off if I could find a canning forum with some canning experts who frequent there. Maybe some of those master canners you talked about. I do think it is pretty awesome that they have free canning courses on line.

I still have many questions I haven’t posted here.

Take care,

Ken

Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
Head Chef

I suggest you go the the canning forum at RecipeZaar.com. They would probably love your questions and comments there.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I suggest you go the the canning forum at RecipeZaar.com. They would probably love your questions and comments there.
Mcnerd, great site. Thank you again. I’m not sure they’ll appreciate my questions and comments there. But, just by browsing the site I did find answers to several canning questions I had without asking questions.

Take care,

Ken
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Here you go bullet, try some of these...

Amazon.com: pickle crisp

I just searched for "pickle crisp" as I seem to remember it being a brand name. As for adding dill flavor, I use a mortis and pestil and crush the dill then I add it to my boiling pickle juice. I strain the solids out as I add it to the jar.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Here you go bullet, try some of these...

Amazon.com: pickle crisp

I just searched for "pickle crisp" as I seem to remember it being a brand name. As for adding dill flavor, I use a mortis and pestil and crush the dill then I add it to my boiling pickle juice. I strain the solids out as I add it to the jar.
Bigdaddy,

I appreciate the help. Hope you won’t mind me asking a few questions.
  • Do you believe it is safe to add the pickle crisp to most, or all pickling solutions?

I had a wife die in 1991. She canned pickled peppers 3 years. The first 2 years the peppers were very mushy. The 3rd year she added some type of premixed pickling mix to make the peppers crisp. The 3rd year they turned out perfect. I’m afraid she never wrote down what it was she used. I believe this pickle crisp may be the stuff.
  • When you ground the dill, was it dried sprigs, or dill seeds? I know my wife just added a sprig or two to each jar of peppers before processing. I’ve read that grinding the seeds actually gives a stronger dill flavor.
  • Do you have a recipe to share that you’ve actually made?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Mr. Greenjeans

Ken,

I've always used fresh sprigs. Thats why I strain it out. Some books say fresh herbs can be dangerous to can. However, every recipe seems to call for sprigs in the jar. Thats includes my Mom's recipe. I am erring on the side of caution here.

I have not personally used the pickle crisp. I plan on picking some up this summer because I have planted pickle plants in the garden.

As for recipes, all I have are for pickles and I am not quite satisfied with the results yet. Crushing up fresh sprigs does get the flavor in the mix and the smell in the air though!

BigD
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Ken,

I've always used fresh sprigs. Thats why I strain it out. Some books say fresh herbs can be dangerous to can. However, every recipe seems to call for sprigs in the jar. Thats includes my Mom's recipe. I am erring on the side of caution here.

I have not personally used the pickle crisp. I plan on picking some up this summer because I have planted pickle plants in the garden.

As for recipes, all I have are for pickles and I am not quite satisfied with the results yet. Crushing up fresh sprigs does get the flavor in the mix and the smell in the air though!

BigD
BigD, thanks for all the help. It’s nice to have someone actually answer questions I have without trying to psychoanalyze why I’m asking.

Erring on the side of caution is a good thing.

If I recall correctly my wife used a dill pickle mix to pickle the jalapeños that turned out so well. I also believe the mix had alum in it. I believe I’ll do a little research and see if I can find out exactly what is in pickle crisp. I believe that may have been what she used.

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

Most of the mixes I read say that they are avoiding alum. I don't know what is wrong with alum, maybe it affects the flavor too much. Anyway, if I get it first I will report back but if you get yours first let me know what happens!!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Here are two links simply as FYI for infromation on alum. I goggled "alumn pickling"... there are lots more. I'm sure you could find an authoritative source on the subject out there.

Alum for Pickling - Safety Guideline How to Use This Chemical

Alum for Pickling