"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Shiozuke. To drain or not to drain

Shiozuke is a type of Japanese pickle, the easiest to make. Itís basically vegetables sliced and heavily salted, then pressed overnight. The salt is rinsed off, and youíre left with limp but crunchy veggies with very concentrated taste. The most common salt pickle veggies are Napa cabbage, cucumbers, daikon and radishes, and eggplant

My dilemma is that some instructions call for the brine to be drained at intervals, and some instructions donít mention draining at all. Is it an either/or thing, or is one method generally recommended over the other?

And Iíll slip in an auxiliary question: some recipes (for the same type of pickles) call for leaving the pickles out overnight, and some call for them to rest in the fridge. Just different roads to the same destination?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I still have my mother's old press she used to make this. I remember her not draining, but using that same liquid in the press to make multiple batches of tsukemono/shiozuke.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I still have my mother's old press she used to make this. I remember her not draining, but using that same liquid in the press to make multiple batches of tsukemono/shiozuke.
Thanks! That makes sense.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Did your grandmother refrigerate her pickles, or leave them to ferment at room temp, do you remember?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Did your grandmother refrigerate her pickles, or leave them to ferment at room temp, do you remember?
They were always kept refrigerated.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote