Why do you prefer home food preservation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cats have all known that the counter and stove were forbidden. I know they went on them when I wasn't looking. But, I always clean the counter before I cook. They didn't try hopping on counters or stove while I was cooking. :D

I really get your point Steve, really I do. I'm not a "germaphobe" by any stretch of the imagination, although I am really aware of food safety in my own kitchen. It's not just someone's home canning I'm slightly afraid of, it's anything that comes out of any kitchen I haven't seen, including restaurants. I'm reminded of the neighbor "cat lady" who had cats all over her stove and counters, and made Christmas fruitcake for everyone. :w00t2::sick:

That is why I never do potlucks!

If I'm cornered I put a dab of this and a dab of that on a plate, then walk around until I can lose the plate and make a run at the bar! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've only recently gotten into canning after we inherited my partner's grandmother's kitchen equipment, it's been a huge help and gotten a ton of use already! I was doing everything in small batches, trying to avoid all the salt and chemicals I can't pronounce (if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it!) that are in most store bought foods. It's great to have home made, better tasting food, at the ready for the lazy days or days work keeps me late.

It's also nice having more space in the freezer for meats and breads instead of it overflowing with bowls of soup and broth! (Though, the pantry is overflowing now, but home canned goods make a great gift!)

I can't forget the savings by making our own soups, jellies, applesauce, and everything else!

I prefer home canning because I can control what's in it, make it to fit our own tastes (and often our friends prefer what I make vs. store bought!), less salt, and no chemicals I can't pronounce easily!

It also leaves more space in the freezer for meats and breads (why can't there be a fridge where the larger portion is the freezer and the smaller portion is the refrigerator portion?)

Another good thing, when I get sick, there is food already made! I'm the one who does the cooking... My other half could "burn water".

Same with my hubby. I love him to death but he's really not a cook. But that's ok. Sometimes I'll make a fancy dinner while he cleans. ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom