Worrying about all of the food I've canned the past month.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
Now that I have finished putting food up until apple season sometime around mid October, I'm having panic attacks about what could happen to my food stores. Botulism, freezer dying, earth quakes, tornados, hungry bears able to open canning jars. Do any of my fellow friends who put food by have that same fear?

Now that I have finished putting food up until apple season sometime around mid October, I'm having panic attacks about what could happen to my food stores. Botulism, freezer dying, earth quakes, tornadoes, hungry bears able to open canning jars. Do any of my fellow friends who put food by have that same fear?

Have any of these disasters ever happened in the past? Aren't you just borrowing trouble? If these concerns are really bothering you, I would suggest you anonymously donate your food to needy families in your community. I am sure it will get eaten before any disaster can befall it. And you will be left with a feeling of such joy. Is your family dependent on these foods to get you through the winter months?

Sit back and enjoy your efforts to feed you family. Save your wandering thoughts for happy ones. Take pride in your work. I would love to be able to can foods again. :angel:

If you've got a hungry bears in the pantry I'd be more worried about how fast you could run rather then a few canned goods. ;)

I shut my anxiety up with Celexa ;)

I'm considering trying something. When I realized that other people don't worry about where they are going to park at an event that is a week away, or they don't check and recheck tickets and reservations for travel (daily), I realized that I may have anxiety issues. Luckily right now they aren't terrible, but bring on some stress and "Hello We're back"!

I believe each and every one of us has anxiety and stress issues.

Kind of the way life is.

There are simply times you have to sit back and realize we might not have it as bad as the next guy.

"There but for the grace of God go I" is a saying that helps me through the day. :angel:

Now that I have finished putting food up until apple season sometime around mid October, I'm having panic attacks about what could happen to my food stores. Botulism, freezer dying, earth quakes, tornados, hungry bears able to open canning jars. Do any of my fellow friends who put food by have that same fear?

You left out the zombie apocalypse!

It seems that we're now discussing abnormal anxiety, something that many people think is just a matter of "snapping out of it" with logical thinking.

Although people mean well with advice, it can be annoying for those who have no control over these terrible feelings. The appropriate medication can make life liveable again.

The poem "Desiderata" is the best advice I have ever found.
Whenever things get tough and seems like the world is going you know where in a hand basket, remembering this helps me keep an even keel.

Desiderata
Max Ehrmann​
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I believe each and every one of us has anxiety and stress issues.

Kind of the way life is.

There are simply times you have to sit back and realize we might not have it as bad as the next guy.

"There but for the grace of God go I" is a saying that helps me through the day. :angel:

That's true, to an extent. But there can be a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes people to be anxious for no apparent reason, or to worry constantly about small things. It can be crippling. Medication is available to help stabilize the brain chemistry, just as medication is available to bring down high blood pressure or replace insulin that some diabetics bodies' don't make by themselves. It's a medical issue and not just the normal stresses of daily life.

I sure hope that fairy girl 69 has got her fears in hand. It must be harrowing to go through life with so many fears. :angel:

As my grannie used to say "Don't worry worry, 'til worry worries you" (it doesn't look as good written down as it sounds when spoken!)

My short answer to your question:
YES!

My long answer:
Fortunately, I only fear Botulism, deep freezer dying again, and Bears.
I had put up some homemade Marinara, and had one jar left.
I felt uneasy about it, so I dumped it down the drain.

My DF in Colorado has a restaurant, kinda out there,
and last year, two Bears pulled the back door off,
got into ALL of the freezers and walk-ins,
ripped the door off their hinges (they were dead bolted and padlock)
and ate everything. She had to shut down the restaurant for a week.

But, I think that Addie had sound advice, fairygirl.
If you feel uneasy about your work, donate it to your local Food Bank.
Some very needy folks will surely enjoy it, gratefully and humbly.
Not to mention that God smile upon you, she's just that way ;)

Last edited:
I got home canned goods from friends once, didn't bother me at all trying them out. They were marvelous, but then I grew up with home canned foods.

Well I didn't....

;)

I worry more about being clumsy and dropping jars on the concrete basement floor.

Oh good lord rofl. Something else to contemplate. But seriously. I do take an anxiety med and four different anti depressants. It's been a godsend for me. I think I was just worried bc I was thoroughly worn out. I'd spent three weeks on cleaning, peeling, and prepping Roma tomatoes for canning. I'm proud to say I managed to get through five bushels of them. That's including my mother's tomatoes too bc I didn't feel comfortable telling my 71 year old mama good luck and to have at it. So I volunteered to be of help. You folks of a certain age understand. Our parents took care of us so we do what we can for them. Same goes for my MIL.

Oh good lord rofl. Something else to contemplate. But seriously. I do take an anxiety med and four different anti depressants. It's been a godsend for me. I think I was just worried bc I was thoroughly worn out. I'd spent three weeks on cleaning, peeling, and prepping Roma tomatoes for canning. I'm proud to say I managed to get through five bushels of them. That's including my mother's tomatoes too bc I didn't feel comfortable telling my 71 year old mama good luck and to have at it. So I volunteered to be of help. You folks of a certain age understand. Our parents took care of us so we do what we can for them. Same goes for my MIL.

fairygirl, now that you are rested, just wallow in your good deed. I am sure your mother and MIL are both very grateful. Believe me, I know that when an elderly's children do something for them, they are very grateful. I have two boys that check on me every single day. And there are residents here whose children never come to see them. Not even for a short visit. You are a good daughter and daughter in-law. Revel in that thought. Canning is a lot of hard work. No wonder you were exhausted. Time to take a rest.

I wish I could do canning. I envy the members here that have gardens. I would love to live on a farm. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom