Copper stone pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. This might be a daft question but can Cooper stone pans be used on an induction hob?

TIA Desmond.

If the pan is some sort of stoneware, no, it will not work. Cookware suitable for induction cooking must be made from some sort of ferrous material. In other words, if a magnet sticks to (firmly) to the bottom of it, you should be able to use the cookware.

Hope this helps.

Hi Thanks for that. I do have pans that do. I thought that it was partially copper might have worked.

If the magnet is not attracted to the pan, there is another possibility - a simple metal plate, often used as a "flame tamer", though it isn't as good as a regular flame tamer, for that purpose. You'll have to experiment to get the proper heat level, but it does work.

Hi This is a mix of cpper and stone so the question rely is will it work with copper. Maybe Copper is not Ferris material.

You've already been given an answer. If a magnet sticks, it will work with induction. Also, try checking the manufacturer's and/or seller's web site. Your answer is there and easily found.

BTW, it's ferrous, not ferris.

If the magnet is not attracted to the pan, there is another possibility - a simple metal plate, often used as a "flame tamer", though it isn't as good as a regular flame tamer, for that purpose. You'll have to experiment to get the proper heat level, but it does work.

Using a plate defeats the reasons for using induction, i.e. efficient energy usage, fast heat-up times, and less heat output.

Using a plate defeats the reasons for using induction, i.e. efficient energy usage, fast heat-up times, and less heat output.
This is just a method to help people use pans that wont work on their induction, esp. if that's all they have. And a stone pan would be more of a simmering pan, and a friend uses one of those plates for simmering - her stove doesn't go quite low enough. I only have an induction burner (which simmers better than my range burners) which I only use in the summer, so I don't heat up the place. Now, I'm back to the high heat gas!

The pan will indicate if it's induction capable by the induction symbol on the bottom.

download.png

Ok will look into this when it arrives. One other thing. This is advertised on TV and claims you don't need oil or fat. You cook dry. Never heard of this. How do you care for these pans. can you wash them? I have an iron skillet and if you wash them they can rust. I just wipe it with clean oil. Can I use oil in them to cook?

TIA

Again, the manufacturer or seller would be the best place to find your answers. More than likely, the answers will also be on and/or in the packaging when the pan gets there.

Fridge magnets do stick the bottom of the pans so that's an added bonus. Just need to find out if it is washable and if I can put oil in them. I thought someone here might have used a copper stoned pan.

Now I know what you are talking about, otuatail!
The "dry cooking" you mentioned is what tipped me off that this wasn't some sort of stoneware - stupid me! This is probably one of the many copper colored, non-stick (the dry cook part of the advertising) pans, with a ceramic (probably the reason for the "stone" in the name) NS coating, supposedly better than the PTFE coating, which releases toxins when overheated.

You can still put oils in any of these pans, and I'm sure that they are washable! They have no copper, so you don't have to get a copper polish, as with real copper (I never do that, anyway - just let them turn brown!). I got one - a copper colored wok, sold by Ming, and it works great, though I don't use it for my high heat SF. It works great for things like cooking down Mexican sauces and moles, due to its NS coating. I also replaced several of my old teflon skillets with some ceramic NS pans, but I noticed, while shopping for them, that many said "heatproof to 450°", and one only to 400° (and no plastic on those - just the coating seemed to have limitations), so check the instructions carefully. I got some that are heatproof to 500°, which is more like it for skillets.

And they can scratch; even if the ads say metal won't hurt them, don't use it. The scratches will not be as visible as in metal, but metal will scratch it, and those almost invisible scratches will compromise the NS ability of the ceramic coating. Also don't use a cleaner that would scratch, but you really shouldn't have to, since it cleans so easily.

Have fun with your new cookware!

Back
Top Bottom