Sunday Supper - 11/25/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Cool rainy day here, so I played in the kitchen a bit. With the holidays coming up I made a batch of almond biscotti. For dinner I'm making Chef John's roasted butternut squash soup, along with a green salad. I also pulled a small loaf of dutch oven bread out of the freezer.

After being without Mexican food on our trip, it's on the menu tonight. I'm putting together a Carnitas Tamale Pie for dinner.

We'll also have a loaded green salad made with red leaf lettuce instead of romaine. Dang, romaine is my favorite.

Ham, scalloped potatoes

Attachments

• 46795333_195289454731857_1781609810848907264_n.jpg
    46795333_195289454731857_1781609810848907264_n.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 163
Cod en papillote with fresh blackberry sauce with rice pilaf.

Attachments

• 2018-11-25 18.54.44.jpg
    2018-11-25 18.54.44.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 124
I had the soup leftovers from that mushroom barley soup I made yesterday, but this time, I made a batch of bread to go with it! My sourdough culture needs major refreshing, so I couldn't use that, so yesterday I set up a preferment, with a little WW, plus some artisan flour, of which I used about 80% - much more WW would have masked the taste of that good flour. After 24 hrs of rising (didn't really rise much, with a small amount of yeast - just nearly doubled by the end), I added salt, water, more yeast, and the last of the artisan flour, and kneaded (or, rather, let the KA knead it!) the dough 10 min. Then, I rose it 2 hours, folding it 3 times in the beginning, and put it in the DO lined with parchment. Rose it 45 min., then baked 30 min @ 450º, removed the lid, and baked 25 min. longer.

I should have used a little more water (I think it ended up 70% hydration), and risen it a little longer, to get a more open crumb, but, it was still delicious, with that euro butter, and that soup!

I don't make much white bread, but sometimes I have to make something like this. While eating the soup Saturday, I was thinking that I really needed some bread with it!

This was my high calorie dinner - I really didn't eat that much on TG!

A friend's coming over tomorrow - I may make some simple butter and cheese bruschetta, to go with the soup. We might polish off the rest of that soup, and, who knows, maybe the bread!

I had one slice of leftover pizza and some leftover chicken wings. DH had two slices of leftover pizza. I had planned on making something simple, but the arthritis is acting up enough that I wouldn't be able to move around enough to cook.

Two delicious Italian Sweet Sausages. Unfortunately I took my Chantix about 20 minutes before I was ready to eat. Had to wait until the nausea passed before I could eat.

I made another pot of Southern Living's Chicken and Barley Stew, which has become a favorite cold weather meal. I had been using Bob's Red Mill hull-less barley in the past (don't bother buying it, it never gets soft), but this time I used good ol' barley. Precooked it in chicken broth before I added it to the stew, and then I kept adding and adding (and adding) more broth every time I turned around. I think I might have put away almost as much stew as we started out with! :LOL: At least I have plenty leftover for later in the week.

I spent the day on the road. The drive from Houston to Dallas was ridiculous. It took six hours. So, I ate road food, and just grazed on snacks tonight.

CD

Not feeling well so did a couple of trader Joe's frozen pizzas. Daughter back to college for a couple of weeks so just me and the misses for a time again.

Back
Top Bottom