What makes us love/hate certain chefs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Just idle chit chat...

I've noticed that many (on this forum) either LOVE or HATE the following FN chefs: Emeril, Rachel Ray or Bobby Flay.

I never see anyone go nuts hatiing other chefs such as Sara Molton, Mario Batali, Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, etc.

What is it about those first 3 that make people dislike them so much? And did I miss anyone else?

:) :) :)

I like Emeril but he says the same things again and again, Rachel Ray is too bubbly for me, and Bobby Flay lacks any personality. I think Tyler Florence is very relaxed and casual and has a very natural personality, which I like. I still don't like the show "how to boil water" but since Tyler has become the chef it's a bit better (still don't understand why that woman is even on the show, she acts pretty dumb about food). Paula Dean is pretty good but man you could die from the amount of fatty things she makes, much like Emeril.

since the beginning of tv, there has been a special gift that some people have to look very comfortable and natural on the air, while being entertaining. people like johnny carson come to mind. on the air, he was a natural. in private, i've heard he was somewhat of a loner and hard to get along with.

emeril had it, and then they "canned" everything he did, and he lost a lot of it. repetition is boring, i'm sure even to him.
rachael ray tries too hard to be happy and cheerful. some of that bubbly effervescence is attractive, but after a few hours, you want to smack it out of her. no one is that freakin happy all of the time, so it starts to stink of insincerity.
bobby flay doesn't try at all. i can almost hear all of the pumpers and fluffers in his entourage telling him how great he is, and to just be himself. unfortunately, it doesn't play well on tv, for him. he comes across as cocky and sometimes condescending. who knows? if he was your neighbor, he might be a great guy. but he is up there on "stage" in your home, and people have come to expect more from their tv "friends".
some people just have "it", most don't. it's up to the producers to find someone who's a natural, then give them the vehicle to display their talents.

Sadly, anyone puts themselves in front of a camera, is subjected to public scrutiny (sp?). Then everyone becomes a critic. It seems to go with the territory. It's not as if the public knows these people personally. So, sad to hear the words "Hate" and "Love" when it comes to someone's on-camera facade. Has nothing to do with their cooking ability. IMO, cooking shows have gone too "Hollywood." I don't need a big band & applause for garlic. When I see Emeril doing toothpaste commercials yelling "BAM," have to wonder, is it about money, or cooking. Now, I'll get off my soap box.

:) BT, after I typed my response & looked up, there was your post. Good point about producers. We should keep in mind, it's a tv show. Probably scripted & well-rehearsed.When I think about the Iron Chef episodes, have to wonder, didn't they have some planning prior to taping, i.e. what recipes & ingredients would they need, what dishes would they prepare. Somehow, doubt this is a spur of the moment decision, when networks are paying big bucks to put the show on air. Food for thought.

i think everyone should come visit me at work. i'll show you the behind the scenes action. (jim henson's muppeteers are mostly responsible for the evening news and sports...:) )

you'd be surprised at how much goes into tv to make it look easy, and original.

buckytom said:
i think everyone should come visit me at work. i'll show you the behind the scenes action. (jim henson's muppeteers are mostly responsible for the evening news and sports...:) )

you'd be surprised at how much goes into tv to make it look easy, and original.

Can they cook?:LOL: So that's where Dan Rather got his news stories.

Could have used those muppets on the movie sets.

Regardless of how people feel about certain chefs, I love the fact that people can get passionate one way or another about a chef. :) It tells you a lot about people's love of food and everything that it's about.

htc, I would say the same characteristic that makes us like, love, dislike, hate those people who are personally in our lives.

When I play Cat Cannon ( http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10584 ) I pretend its Rachel Ray. :hammer:

She annoys me to NO end. Shes fake. She is the transvestite of cooks if you will. :rolleyes:

Emeril has earned his show. BUT his show is made to entertain.... and when people clap JUST because the guy adds garlic.... it isnt entertainment anymore.... its just dumb. Probably NOT his fault.... its the producers fault.

Nothing transvestite about Rachael Ray. I saw the episode of $40 a Day where she wore a bikini. :blush: :angel:

I try not to be too negative about anyone. I like to watch Emeril, because he does present some good recipes. I still much prefer Alton Brown, though. He just seems like the kind of guy I could converse with at a Denny's until three in the morning.

bobby flay is snotty and obnoxious. i like rachel ray but WHEN is she going to admit that she doesn't absolutely love anything she tastes on her $40 show?:LOL: Emeril is repetitive and fazed out.

think about it though. rachael isn't going to eat somewhere on $40 A Day and admit whatever it was she's eating is terrible. it's bad for the restaraunt. look for tell-tale signs ie. there's been a few times she'll wipe her mouth immediately after taking a bite. chances are she spit the food out into the napkin. or sometimes she'll refer to something as being "nice" or "light". i admit the rolling of the eyes is a bit much but it's good for the restaurant's image. just look for the little almost un-noticeable signs.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I stand by my statement. :dry: :-p

Well, if she's a man she's doing a bangup job hiding it. :ROFLMAO:

2big1lm.jpg

hmmmm...
i'll bet my BF would like that pic.
middie, i see your point. i've seen where she won't say it's good, but will comment on something else.

I don't think I have seem many other chefs on FoodTV taste something and say they don't like it. Granted most of them are eating the food that they just prepared, but this is not always the case. I have no problem with RR loving everything she eats or at least never saying anything bad about any of her meals. Lucky her that she loves all food so much! No wonder she went into the food business.

On the food not tasting good thing...I want to see an audience member taste something a chef makes and say it's bland or doesn't taste good!

I swear, the Asian inspired duck I tried of Flay's was very bland. When I was watching the show, it looked so good!

Back
Top Bottom