It Pays To Check Out The Clearance Shelf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I got a 12-inch SS Calphalon saucier with a glass lid the other day at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $38. Original price $79 and change. It had been the display model.

Already made a perfect peach cobbler in it and am thinking up new dishes to try out.

i love clearance items. i've gotten spices for $.19, jeans that i'm thinking were supposed to be $80 for $2.40 (now i have to find the reciept and see for sure), film for $1.99 (not that good a deal, but much cheper than usual), ribeye steaks MANY times for $3 off per steak, veal cut for scallopine for $3 off, (meat dept. at my favorite store puts all the meat that only has 2 days left before its sell-by on sale at night, and i often shop in the middle of the night, so i catch the best bargains before anyone else), and i've gotten some other really good deals.

Last edited:
love discount racks. we have them at work and the mark down items the store won't be carrying anymore. got a 500 ct bottle of ibuprofen for $2.00
got a pyrex bowl for 50 cents (no i'm not kidding).
a pocket organizer for $2.50. boxes of countchocula for $1.50 (i think).
can of soup for a quarter. everyday that i work i'm always taking a peek to see what's on the rack (on company time so shhhhhhhhh)

woo-hoooo, middie!
i forgot about a few of mine. i got 2 $40 apiece tank tops for $2.35 each. i got a sleep tank top for about the same price.

Last edited:
My friends call me the bargain queen around here -
I recently got Cole Haan dress shoes for the h for $3 (no this wasn't a bargain store, they were on major clearance at a dept store!), a wallet for 80 cents, a beautful set of martini glasses with a shaker and glass stirring sticks for $3 (same sale as the shoes) and a 1928 bracelet (orig price $32) for 47 cents. Grocery shopping 2 days ago, I saved $116, cause I do the grocery game.
Then there's all the garage sales....woo hoo!

Jkath- I am a Grocery Gamer also and love that I only have to spend $30-$50 per week on groceries for our family of five, and could probably live for months off what I have stockpiled! I've found some pretty good deals at Target on occasion. Just got a $40 car cover for $8 and a $20 kids suitcase on wheels for $5. Also can get things like mints ($0.06) and shampoo ($0.69) pretty cheap with coupons. I've gotten to where I can't bring myself to buy anything unless it is at least 50% off!

What's the Grocery Game??

I love a good sale. Love talking about how much I DIDN"T spend on something.

Buckytom- You're so funny! I think I could only stuff one of my kids in there before I ran out of room in the cute little ladybug suitcase! The wheels wouldn't be the issue.

Anyway...

pdswife- The Grocery Game is an online weekly listing for your local grocery store. Once you subscribe, they will post the items your store has listed at a rock bottom price for that week and if there are any available coupons to use along with the sale price. The general idea is that you stockpile items you use when they are at their lowest price, therefore eliminating the need to buy anything at full price, except milk, fresh produce, etc. I almost always pay around 60% less than the regular price.
Hope that made sense!

Last edited:
Actually we aren't supposed to advertise here (although I wish I could!) So, pds, pm either lhanson or myself and we'll give you the facts. And, anyone else who wants the info.

that's interesting jkath. i post a lot of links, for both the info contained therein, but also sometimes in case someone is looking to buy something. i have never been told not to do so, i guess because i don't profit from them. but that can get to be a grey area. can someone please clarify the "rules" of posting links??????

From what I understand, it's okay to post a link in your sig, but admin prefers that you don't post a link directly in the thread, as who knows what will be linked. Keep in mind, I am still new at the rules and regs and am probably talking out of my ear.

i'd say have mj or gb explain it because sometimes we can post links and other time we can't. i get confused myself

heeeeeellllloooooooooooo jkath (talking into jkath's ear)

thanks. i never knew that. it would suck not to be able to post links to good info, but i understand how it could be abused.

Sorry! Didn't mean to break the rules! I've gotten lots of great info from these message boards and like to share when I run across something good. I've seen lots of posts with links to recipe sites or retail companies selling foods or cookware so thought as long as I wasn't personally advertising my company, it was OK. I actually just typed in the website address as I don't know how to link an address, but when I hit "post" it magically turned into a link! Please post the exact rules when they become known. Thanks.

Ihanson, you're a person after my own heart. I bookmarked the site...thank you for the URL.
I don't get to do much shopping myself anymore...usually I just send detailed lists with my daughter or husband. But I watch the paper for bargains.
Like you, I have a lot of food stockpiled, non-perishables and frozen as well. If the freezer doesn't fail, we could eat for a year. My kids tease me about hoarding food, but when they are broke, mom always has a care package for them.
I guess it comes from being hungry...once you've done without, you don't want to again.

If you live near a Marshalls, check out their cookware aisles often. I have gotten wonderful pots pans and glassware there.

mudbug said:
I got a 12-inch SS Calphalon saucier with a glass lid the other day at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $38. Original price $79 and change. It had been the display model.

I have no "loyalty" to any brand or material .... and I bet sitting on the shelf for a while didn't hurt your pan one bit! Glad someone as nice as you got such a great deal!!!

Back
Top Bottom