Banana/Apple Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We are having a family renunion here Sunday and being I'm making a fruit tray for the adults, I wanted to make one for the 6 little people who will be here. I've gotten some long toothpicks about 5-6 inches and want to cut up apples, bananas, grapes, melon, pineapple and let them assemble their own. Now my problem is, how do I keep the bananas and apples from turning brown if I cut them ahead of time. I thought of brusing with lemon juice, but, wonder if this will affect the taste for the kids. Any ideas, please:)
Thanks
kadesma

lemon juice & kids

Howdee,
It seems like most kids really like sour things, and like to suck on lemons. I wouldn't be worried about putting a little lemon juice on your apples and bananas. I think your idea of having the kids assemble their own fruit skewers is cool! Another idea is to serve a sweet dip such as that sour cream or marshmallow fruit dip to counteract the sour lemon. Kids also love to dip! Have fun!

Buy a can of Fruit Fresh. You should find it at the grocers where all the canning stuff is. I use it when I can fruit. It prevents the discoloration and it does work. Just use as directed on the can.

Shellygloo said:
Howdee,
It seems like most kids really like sour things, and like to suck on lemons. I wouldn't be worried about putting a little lemon juice on your apples and bananas. I think your idea of having the kids assemble their own fruit skewers is cool! Another idea is to serve a sweet dip such as that sour cream or marshmallow fruit dip to counteract the sour lemon. Kids also love to dip! Have fun!
Hi Shelly,
Thanks for the quick reply..I never thought of a sweet dip...I have some caramel dip and some marshmellow and will put those out for the kids. What a great idea..Thank you for that too.
I see your new to the board so welcome I'm glad you found us.
kadesma:)

designerobsessed said:
Buy a can of Fruit Fresh. You should find it at the grocers where all the canning stuff is. I use it when I can fruit. It prevents the discoloration and it does work. Just use as directed on the can.
Hi Des,
I will pick up a can of fruit fresh. I've used it before, but, I just never thought about it today...Thanks for reminding me.
kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom