Grits Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DessertLover

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm new to the board. I saw this recipe a little while ago and it sounded interesting. I tried it and it turned out pretty good, although when I made it the top was more liquidy than gooey for some reason. But things like that always happen to me, lol.

Here's the recipe:

Grits Cake

1 yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup grits
8 oz. pack cream cheese
16 oz. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Mix cake, 2 eggs, butter, and grits in a bowl.
Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
Spread first mixture into a 9" x 13" pan. Pour second mixture over cake batter. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Top will be gooey...or should be.

Yeah, that's what I said to myself too...

when I first saw the recipe. It was hard to believe, but I was crazy enough to give it a try. I can't remember where I got the recipe from.

It tastes very sweet. It may be a little too sweet, but I don't really mind. But that does let me know I got something right, because apparently it's supposed to be very sweet.

I used the grits straight out of the bag. It's not something I'm going to be making too often, but I thought it was a nice treat.

What an interesting idea! My husband might even like grits made this way. When he first moved to South Carolina I brought him to meet a friend of mine (who is about 85). He ate some grits, then when she asked if he wanted more, he took 2nds. Then he asked for 3rds! I thought wow, he must really like them. It turned out he hated them. He was just afraid he would hurt Maxine's feelings!

:) Barbara

Grits are ground hominy. It is really popular in the south--made into kind of a mush. I believe what you are thinking of are pork rinds, or cracklins.

Thanks French Fried. You know why the little yolk is trying so hard to get out of there don't you? He sees your dog down below him, and he is afraid he is going to eat him! lol

Back
Top Bottom