What are "fruit pickles"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

I have seen a few British recipes that called for an ingredient by the name of "fruit pickles", but no further description of this product was given. The quantity was always low (say a few TBSPs), so I'd gather they are quite strong whatever they may be...

Has anyone ever encountered "fruit pickles"??? :huh: :)

I suspect that fruit pickles are chutney style pickles - very popular with cold meats, Ploughman's, cheese sandwiches etc. One of the most popular is Branston's.

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/brands/branston.cfm

Pickled whole fruits are not very popular but ARE available, like pickled lemon slices, and pickled plums and pickled walnuts (not strictly a fruit!)

Thank-you both for your quick and informative answers! I was begining to wonder if "fruit pickles" were anything like an Italian ingredient that is called fruit mustard and is a blend of mustard, candied fruits and other seasonings. But I gather from your posts that (British) fruit pickles are quite different from that product.

On the link you listed Constance, I think that the recipe for cantaloupe pickles sounds really interesting. I've heard of watermelon and watermelon rind pickles but not this one.

Piccolina said:
Thank-you both for your quick and informative answers! I was begining to wonder if "fruit pickles" were anything like an Italian ingredient that is called fruit mustard and is a blend of mustard, candied fruits and other seasonings. But I gather from your posts that (British) fruit pickles are quite different from that product.

QUOTE]

That sounds more like what we call picalilli.... mustardy/curry vinegar base with vegetables rather than fruits..

450g/1lb small pickling onions, peeled
450g/1lb cauliflower florets
450g/1lb runner beans, trimmed and finely sliced
450g/1lb cucumber, seeded and cut into 1cm/½in dice
450g/1lb pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1cm/½in dice
450g/1lb courgette or marrow, cut into 1cm/½in dice
450g/1lb salt
30g/1oz mustard
30g/1oz ground ginger
30g/1oz curry powder - mild or hot according to taste
15g/½oz ground turmeric
30g/1oz black peppercorns
1l/1¾pt malt vinegar
30g/1oz cornflour

Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with the salt. Cover and leave overnight.
Drain and rinse the vegetables under running cold water. Dry.
Put ¾ of the vinegar in a large preserving pan and add the spices and vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer until just tender.
Mix the cornflour with the rest of the vinegar and add to the pan. Mix together and simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn into hot sterilised jars, seal and cool.
Store for three months in a cool, dark cupboard before eating.

Honeyed Fruit Pickles

HONEYED FRUIT PICKLES
1 c. vinegar
1 c. strained honey
8 whole cloves
1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon
1 (#2 1/2) can sliced pineapple (8
slices)
1 (#2 1/2) can peach halves
Combine vinegar, honey, and spices. Heat to boiling, drain, save syrup. Cut pineapple into thirds or quarters; add to peach halves. Then stir in syrup. Simmer 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Lift out fruit and place in deep bowl or jar. Boil syrup 6-7 minutes; pour over fruit and let stand. Refrigerate at least one day before using. To serve, drain off juice. Pears or apricots may replace peaches. Serves 8.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom