Shelf life of garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef_biz

Assistant Cook
I've been using a lot of garlic lately and I had a question about the life of it. I bought a few heads of garlic a couple weeks ago. My question is, how can I tell if the garlic is bad?

you'll know when you get the skin off and see where the flesh is brown. Or when you cut one open it may have a green sprout in it also.........I just pull that part out and still use the garlic as long as there aren't any brown spots on the flesh.

Store the garlic in a brown paper bag in a cool dark place such as a kitchen cabinet away from heat sources (stove and dishwasher) and moisture (sink).

Last edited by a moderator:
SizzlininIN said:
you'll know when you get the skin off and see where the flesh is brown. Or when you cut one open it may have a green sprout in it also.........I just pull that part out and still use the garlic as long as there aren't any brown spots on the flesh.

I can usually tell by the green sprouts coming out also. You can also tell because fresh garlic is a tight bulb. As it gets older, the cloves start seperating.

I had mine in the plastic bag i got from the store,which they say not to do according to that website. I did have it in a dark cabinet away from heat. I noticed a few little brown spots and green up the middle which now I figure was a sprout. The smell still seemed good but seeing the green and brown is what made me get on here and ask. Thanks for the responses. I will go pick up new bulbs. :)

Old garlic sometimes feels/looks shrivled up a bit, and Sierra mentioned it can certianly have a rubbery texture to it. Another option (though I just use a brown paper bag) it to get one of those cute garlic keepers. They come in some many varieties these day that you don't have to stick with the old school ones that look like a head of garlic :)

Personally the green sprout has never bothered me. I know most people say it is bitter, but I have never noticed it (and I use a lot of garlic :) ). If the sprout is big and easy to take out then I remove it, but if it is small then I don't bother trying to get rid of it. The brown spots I just cut off. the rest of the clove will be fine. In a perfect world my garlic would not have brown or green, but it is sometimes a battle to find one good head of garlic in a bin of hundreds at my supermarket.

When picking a head, look for tight cloves with not dark spots and the paper should be intact and not coming apart much.

i was just watching an episode of a jacques pepin show, i think it was "fast food, my way", and he mentioned the green sprout growing out of garlic. he said that he was always trained to remove the green sprout, and even the core of the garlic clove that it attaches to (because it was bitter), but then he said that he has never experienced any problem with it, and some cultures even prize garlic sprouts as main ingredients.

edited to add: also look for hard neck, or stiff neck garlic. it will have a somewhat purple-ish appearance, and a woody stem in the center, instead of increasingly smaller cloves. i've found it to be much tastier, and less bitter garlic.

Last edited:
I'm with GB on this. If the green sprout pops out easily, it's gone. If I miss one or two, I don't see it as a problem.

Count me in on the not worrying about the green sprout crowd as well. Of course, if it's REALLY got a sprout going, I won't cook with it. I'll take it out to the garden and plant the little sucker! :cool:

We've got a pretty nice mix of garlics starting to grow back there, plus chives and dill.

John

buckytom said:
sounds like the makings of a great double baked tater, ronjohn!

I hadn't even thought of that! I've been more concerned with roasted garlic and onion pizzas...

John

well then, bake or better yet, wrap a spud in foil and pop it in the fireplace to bake. cut in half, scoop out flesh, mash with roasted garlic butter and a little dill. while doing this, brush skins with oil and bake on high heat until a little crisp. then put mash back in skins, brush with butter and re-bake. serve with chive sour cream. :chef:

Piccolina said:
Another option (though I just use a brown paper bag) it to get one of those cute garlic keepers. They come in some many varieties these day that you don't have to stick with the old school ones that look like a head of garlic :)

It has become such any everyday item in my kitchen, that I forgot about it. I also keep my garlic in this garlic keeper.

Last edited:
A rare disagreement with you guys .... I find sprouted garlic has a really "off" taste and smell. Sometimes bitter, sometimes not, but always wrong to my nose and palate. I am a geek, yes, but if I have to use sprouted garlic I always take that bad boy out.

I live in Ireland and grow my own garlic. I store it as platted ropes hanging from the beam close to the solid fuel stove, but not in direct line. It usually keeps until the new crop is ready. Now in May little roots are showing, but the bulbs are still firm. Chopped up, small bits of green shoot show. So what? As Garlic grows through the winter it is not heat which makes them sprout, but moisture.

Mmmm, garlic, the more the merrier. I don't bother with the green sprouts either--can't tell any difference.

I got lucky and found a large terra cotta pot with a lid and lots of holes in it at a thrift store. I think it was originally for mushrooms. Unlike regular garlic keepers, which hold 4 or 5 heads at most, this one probably will hold a pound or two of garlic.

I use garlic like a vegetable, not an herb. Cooked low and slow, garlic loses its bite and turns sweet and mellow.

Then, towards the end of cooking, mince another clove and mix it in for some fresh garlic flavor.

Back
Top Bottom