Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Terms & Techniques (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Shelf life of garlic? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f32/shelf-life-of-garlic-17092.html)

chef_biz 11-29-2005 10:39 PM

Shelf life of garlic?

I've been using a lot of garlic lately and I had a question about the life of it. I bought a few heads of garlic a couple weeks ago. My question is, how can I tell if the garlic is bad?

SizzlininIN 11-29-2005 11:20 PM

you'll know when you get the skin off and see where the flesh is brown. Or when you cut one open it may have a green sprout in it also.........I just pull that part out and still use the garlic as long as there aren't any brown spots on the flesh.

Andy M. 11-29-2005 11:26 PM

Store the garlic in a brown paper bag in a cool dark place such as a kitchen cabinet away from heat sources (stove and dishwasher) and moisture (sink).

Vicious Vaness 11-30-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
you'll know when you get the skin off and see where the flesh is brown. Or when you cut one open it may have a green sprout in it also.........I just pull that part out and still use the garlic as long as there aren't any brown spots on the flesh.

I can usually tell by the green sprouts coming out also. You can also tell because fresh garlic is a tight bulb. As it gets older, the cloves start seperating.

SierraCook 11-30-2005 01:18 AM

Garlic that is soft or rubbery is not good to use. Garlic like onion needs good ventilation I store mine in a small netted bag. For more information on garlic check out this website.

http://www.christopher-ranch.com/index.htm

chef_biz 11-30-2005 01:43 AM

I had mine in the plastic bag i got from the store,which they say not to do according to that website. I did have it in a dark cabinet away from heat. I noticed a few little brown spots and green up the middle which now I figure was a sprout. The smell still seemed good but seeing the green and brown is what made me get on here and ask. Thanks for the responses. I will go pick up new bulbs. :smile:

Piccolina 11-30-2005 05:59 AM

Old garlic sometimes feels/looks shrivled up a bit, and Sierra mentioned it can certianly have a rubbery texture to it. Another option (though I just use a brown paper bag) it to get one of those cute garlic keepers. They come in some many varieties these day that you don't have to stick with the old school ones that look like a head of garlic :smile:

GB 11-30-2005 08:59 AM

Personally the green sprout has never bothered me. I know most people say it is bitter, but I have never noticed it (and I use a lot of garlic :smile: ). If the sprout is big and easy to take out then I remove it, but if it is small then I don't bother trying to get rid of it. The brown spots I just cut off. the rest of the clove will be fine. In a perfect world my garlic would not have brown or green, but it is sometimes a battle to find one good head of garlic in a bin of hundreds at my supermarket.

When picking a head, look for tight cloves with not dark spots and the paper should be intact and not coming apart much.

buckytom 11-30-2005 09:17 AM

i was just watching an episode of a jacques pepin show, i think it was "fast food, my way", and he mentioned the green sprout growing out of garlic. he said that he was always trained to remove the green sprout, and even the core of the garlic clove that it attaches to (because it was bitter), but then he said that he has never experienced any problem with it, and some cultures even prize garlic sprouts as main ingredients.

edited to add: also look for hard neck, or stiff neck garlic. it will have a somewhat purple-ish appearance, and a woody stem in the center, instead of increasingly smaller cloves. i've found it to be much tastier, and less bitter garlic.

Andy M. 11-30-2005 09:44 AM

I'm with GB on this. If the green sprout pops out easily, it's gone. If I miss one or two, I don't see it as a problem.