Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cook's Tools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Need recommendations for a mandoline (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/need-recommendations-for-a-mandoline-17135.html)

buckytom 12-01-2005 01:47 PM

Need recommendations for a mandoline

strum-a-strum-a-strum
"lady of spain i adore yooooouuuuu, right from the first time i saw yoooouuuuu"
(playing my mandolin)

i am looking for a food mandoline, not the musical kind (spelled without a "e").

i've seen prices range from cheapo plastic ones at about $20, to all stainless steel for about $130.
does anyone have a recommendation for which one they have, or would like to buy?

tia

Andy M. 12-01-2005 02:01 PM

BT:

I have a 'V' Slicer I use for mandoline functions. It's certainly not as sturdy or as versatile as a top of the line itm but for $30. it does the basics. It slices in a couple of thicknesses and makes two sizes of french fry cuts.

mudbug 12-01-2005 05:24 PM

buckster, I got the Oxo one at Wms Sonoma. I really like it. I think it's about $70. You can get them elsewhere, but I haven't seen a lower price for this brand.

Alix 12-01-2005 05:33 PM

Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.

buckytom 12-02-2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix
Mine is a cheapo job and it cuts my fingers off just as well as the expensive kind.

you still type quite well, alix.

thanks andy and 'bug. i saw the oxo one for about $60 or $70 in an outlet store at the crossings mall in the poconos last weekend. i think i'll look into getting that one. i have and like several of their other products (knives, peelers, graters, salad spinner, etc.)

ronjohn55 12-02-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix

Maybe I'll just stay away from these things, then... Knives are enough of a problem for me...

:tongue:

John

urmaniac13 12-02-2005 09:57 AM

I was only familiar with the musical version of anything that resembles this name, now I know what you guys are talking about after a little googling... well when you look for a kitchen gadget put the user-friendliness, durability and ease of cleaning ahead of the cost. If either of these concerns fail to acheive the standard level, it will end up being a waste of money no matter how much or little you pay. I looked at Oxo and they look pretty decent... even if you shell out a bit more at the beginning if the performance is satisfactory it will be well worth it... after all you are not getting a kitchen decoration, something functional!!

CharlieD 12-02-2005 09:58 AM

Mine is hand made and is about 20 years old. It's not your fancy one that is sold for $100 bucks, but it works. So I am against the fancy ones, just way too much money.

licia 12-02-2005 10:12 AM

I've used the V-slicer for many years - in fact so long that the blades aren't sharp enough. I think my son paid around $30 for it about 20 or so years ago. They weren't so easy to find then so they may have come down in price, OR they may have gone up. I bought one of the Oxo type and it was too hard to use, but I may have been expecting it to be as simple as the V-slicer. I took it back and am still looking for the perfect one.

Andy M. 12-02-2005 10:52 AM

licia:

Check out the link in my earlier post. I have one like this and it's simple and easy to use.