Softening brown sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
how do you get brown sugar to soften up and not be as hard as a rock?

Put a slice of bread in with it and close up for about 30 minutes. Or put it in a ziploc and the slice of bread.

Last edited:
A slice of apple works well too. Or you can buy a little clay disk, soak it in water for a while and toss it in your sugar container. It keeps it forever. I keep my brown sugar in Tupperware and it never gets hard.

nuke it for a few seconds. it should soften, but don't do it too long, or it'll start to melt.

We always have an open bag of brown sugar in use. As long as we wrap it with a slice of bread it stays moist.

Just keep it in the plastic bag it came in and place in a larger ziplock bag in the refrigerater and it won't harden up on you anymore.

If it has already gotten hard, I nuke it for just a few seconds. Use it immediately though, it will harden up again.

Alexa

I have a terrible time keeping brown sugar soft...it is so dry where I live. I've used the slice of bread in the bag trick - it works well. Out of desperation one day, I decided to vacuum pack my brown sugar. It worked great! I just make the food saver bag extra long so that I can cut it open then vacuum pack it again and again.

Back
Top Bottom