Buttermilk Marinated Chicken Tenders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hello there..i want to make some DELICIOUS Buttermilk marinated chicken tenders. I want to marinate them in buttermilk over night and then bake or fry them.

I need some ideas as to how to put these together. Any recipes or tips you can offer me?

Ideas for different breading would be a great start, and what to dip them in.

Since they are marinated in buttermilk, do i just dip them in the breading and thats it and then cook them? Ive heard of people like dipping them in buttermlik, then flour, then buttermilk again, or something like that? Dipping multiple times in batter?

Would this be good with those Japanese breadcrumbs? What are they called PANKO?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

I will be serving these with a honeymustard dressing.
The chicken will be pre cut tenderloin strips.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband makes the best ones...in fact, that's what my little grandson Jesse requested for his birthday meal.
He doesn't use buttermilk, though. He just seasons the breasts and the flour with S&P, dips the chicken in the flour, then and egg & milk mixture, then the flour again, and fries in 1" of 375 degree oil until golden on each side. Do NOT overcook.

Overnight is too long. An hour is long enough. Put inthe buttermilk, then seasoned flour with a bit of baking powder, then fry in shallow oil.

I Love that first recipe especially. But it calls for a whole chicken, what changes would need to be made to make that about a pound and a half of chicken tenders? (boneless skinless)

Mylegsbig said:
I Love that first recipe especially. But it calls for a whole chicken, what changes would need to be made to make that about a pound and a half of chicken tenders? (boneless skinless)

I'd cook them at a higher temperature for less time. 375F until the crust is the right color should do the trick. The tenders are a lot thinner and have no bones or skin, that's why the temp and time are different.

Because you'd be using a higher temp, you cannot use shortening. Its smoke point is too low. Use corn or canola oil. Peanut oil will also work but is generally more expensive.

Last edited:
Season your buttermilk with s/p, garlic powder, onion powder, and as much cayenne as you like!

And panko crumbs would be great on this - I use them for everything breaded!

buttermilk chicken tenders

seasoned bread crumbs with parmesan cheese is execellent!

im gonna light fry the strips in almond oil in a skillet, what temperature should i put them on?

Medium high or so? 1 minute each side then throw them into 400 degree oven for like 7 minutes or something?

thanks

When I use flour for the breading, I like to add a couple of tablespoons of corn meal. It changes the taste a bit and makes for a very crispy crust.

Mylegsbig said:
im gonna light fry the strips in almond oil in a skillet, what temperature should i put them on?

Medium high or so? 1 minute each side then throw them into 400 degree oven for like 7 minutes or something?

thanks

Nut oils are best for cold dishes which will allow the subtle flavors to be savored. Heat destroys the delicate flavors of nut oils and so you may not accomplish the transfer of the uncooked almond oil to your cooked food.

Almond oil has a smoke point of nearly 500 degrees F. and so there is no problem with cooking at high temperatures but you will probably defeat your flavor objective.

okay substitute that for vegetable oil... what temperature is best for these things in light fry in the skillet?

I agree with overnight being too long. An hour or so is lots. I put chile flakes in my buttermilk and salt too. Nice flavour that way. The one thing I will suggest is that after you coat your chicken with either seasoned flour or breadcrumbs that you set it on a rack and let it rest for 5 - 15 minutes. For some reason this seems to set the coating better than putting it directly onto the heat, and seals the flavours too. Good luck, let us know how they turn out.

Mylegsbig said:
okay substitute that for vegetable oil... what temperature is best for these things in light fry in the skillet?

I assumed that when you said you were going to fry in a skillet for only a minute or so that you were going to pan fry and not deep fry. Generally a temperature is associated only with deep frying.

The purpose of pan frying before oven frying is to brown and/or sear or seal the surface of the food being cooked. You will need to do this on a rather high temperature to ensure that the food is sealed so that it does not absorb oil during the oven frying stage.

I would use a minimal amount of oil in the pan while on the stovetop and when browned on all sides move it into the oven. You will probably not need more than a minute on each side to brown.

Aurora so maybe MEDIUM HIGH on my skillet? Couple tablespoons of oil?

Or is that too hot? Maybe i should go MEDIUM?

These are going to be the little pre cut chicken tenderloin pieces coating in panko crumbs.

If the temperature isn't hot enough your tenders will soak up too much oil. I vote for medium high. Also, I have marinated chicken breasts for up to 3 days in buttermilk and they have turned out extemely tender. The acid really makes them tender. So...overnight didn't seem too long to me unless the tenders are, along with skinny also thin - then I'd say a few hours would do the trick.

You could also add some chopped fresh rosemary to your batter. I also like to use equal parts beer and flour - set on counter for 3 hours then dip tenders into batter and deep fry. I usually deep fry at 375.

Okay i got some Panko Breadscrubs. I'm goign to soak the chicken tenders in buttermilk for a few hours today and cook them tonight.

Okay, so i remove the tenders from buttermilk, do i roll them in the panko-seasoning-mixture right away?

or do i take them out of buttermilk, rub them in flour, then buttermilk again, then roll them in panko crumbs?

Not sure how i should do this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mylegsbig said:
Okay i got some Panko Breadscrubs. I'm goign to soak the chicken tenders in buttermilk for a few hours today and cook them tonight.

Okay, so i remove the tenders from buttermilk, do i roll them in the panko-seasoning-mixture right away?

or do i take them out of buttermilk, rub them in flour, then buttermilk again, then roll them in panko crumbs?

Not sure how i should do this.

Thanks in advance

I think you could probably go either way. I'd probably coat them in flour then dip in egg and then into the panko. I'm not sure what the reason behind coating them in flour first is but that's what I was told to do. Maybe experiment? Do a few with flour and panko, then some with just panko. Let us know what difference you find.

Back
Top Bottom