ISO Your Best TNT Soup/Stew Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinne

Sous Chef
Mystic, CT - transplanted from Lancaster, PA
We are having a STEW-pendous SOUP-er Bowl Party at work on Friday. I am looking for a soup or stew recipe that says "WOW!" to me. I've brought a lot of soup to work over the past couple months - I am looking for something new & different from what they've already tried. The ones they already tasted are Chicken Corn Soup, Seafood & Corn Chowder, Zuppa Tuscana, Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder. I like creamy soups, FWIW. And I like them to be chunky. :)

Thank you!!!
Corinne

I should clarify - my speciality is Comfort Food - I have no regard for calories! I just want the food to taste good. And I want it to be somewhat simple - so people aren't afraid to taste it! I'm not looking for anything gourmet here! :)

That said, thank you for the link to the Mahogany Beef Stew, Valnaples. I am going to take a look at it.

Have you tried baked potato soup? It's definitely comfort food and easy peasy to make,

peel and cut potatoes (however many you need)
1-2 onions finely chopped

place in large pot and cover w/ water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer til soft. do not drain

depending on quantity add 1 can cream of celery soup and 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 regular size cream cheese, pepper, other spices to taste and mix well, kinda smushing up the potatoes as you mix, leaving some chunky bits.

let that mix well, then add some cheddar cheese ( I add LOTS)

to serve, homemade bacon bits, chives, sourcream...whatever you would put on baked potatoes!

what a fun idea!

I make a cream of broccoli soup that is super simple:

boil a bag of brccoli in a pan just covered in water
mash water and broccoli together
in another pan, melt one stick of butter with 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
add one pint of whipping cream
combine broccoli and water with cream mixture
add a litle bit of chicken base til it bubbles, don't boil

i usually double this recipe. top with lots of cheddar cheese on top til it gets gooey - instead of crackers i serve with bagel chips - yum!

since you like it chunky, leave the broccoli in bigger pieces - i hope you enjoy.

Clam chowder

Ingredients:
three 10 oz cans chopped clams
1lb bacon
three cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!

Add some nice frech bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day! __________________

I got the following recipe from one of foodtv's comfort food shows (cant remember which). i usualy dont like their recipes, but this one was fantastic!! very easy to make, cheap, and tastes soooo good!!

Chicken and Addouille Sausage Stew!!!

Last edited:
10 tablespoons butter
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 2 -inch chunks
Salt and pepper
8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick rounds
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
5 cups chicken stock
1 orange, zest grated
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white wine
Oven roasted potatoes, recipe followsMelt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Just before the butter begins to brown, add the chicken. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the andouille and cook 2 more minutes. Remove the meat to a large dish and set aside. Melt the remaining butter in the same pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, fennel, thyme and bay leaves and cook over medium heat until the onion turns translucent, about 20 minutes.
As the vegetables cook, pour the chicken stock into a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
When the vegetable mixture is ready, add the orange zest to the pot along with the reserved meat and any juices. Mix well. Add the flour and stir to coat the vegetables and meat. Cook 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir. The mixture will thicken immediately. Add the warm chicken stock to the pot 1 cup at a time, stirring as the stock is added. Once all of the stock has been used, bring the stew to a simmer for 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Oven Roasted Potatoes:
10 medium red potatoes, washed and diced or 25 small potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leavesPreheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes together with the oil, salt pepper, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and put into the top half of the oven. Roast 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender, golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and serve as a bed for the stew.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

This soup is not creamy, but very simple and very interesting, people love it when I make it. It is spicy Georgian soup, you can make it as hot as you like or not hot at all. Here is a link . If you have questions please ask.

P.S. It is very comforting.

Back
Top Bottom