Our national anthem in Spanish - with new words?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Just saw this on the news.

Same words in Spanish? - fine.

Anything else? - no way, Jose (and a truer use for that shopworn phrase never existed)

I just saw the same thing. As you say, same words, that's fine. But, to change the words, it's no longer the national anthem!!

- Touting the American Dream or Offensive Rewrite?
By JIM AVILA

April 27, 2006 — "The Star Spangled Banner" has provided the soundtrack to our national pastime since 1918, when the spirited tune debuted at a baseball game.
Now there is a new version with changes to the time-honored lyrics.
A group of Spanish music stars have presented their own take on the national anthem for Latino immigrants, in their native language, titled "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem."
The idea came from music executive Adam Kidron, who sympathized with the recent immigrant demonstrations but was troubled by the number of Mexican flags in the crowd.
He hopes the new Spanish-language version of the national anthem will demonstrate Latino patriotism and encourage more American flags at the demonstrations.

"It has the passion, it has the respect, it has all of the things that you really want an anthem to have and it carries the melody," said Kidron. Altered Lyrics Tone Down Battle

"The Star Spangled Banner" has endured some extreme versions — from Jimmy Hendrix's explosive guitar rendition to one from soul signer Marvin Gaye — since Francis Scott Key first wrote the poem while watching the British bombard an American fort during the War of 1812.
The current version will likely spark debate, because it is not an exact translation. Some of the classic lyrics have been changed for rhyming reasons while other phrases were altered to soften war references. For example:
img_bullet_orangedot.gif
English version: And the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

img_bullet_orangedot.gif
Spanish version: In the fierce combat, the sign of victory, the flame of battle in step with liberty through the night it was said it was being defended.

The original author's great-great grandson, Charles Key, finds the Spanish version unpatriotic and is adamant that it should be sung only in English.
"I think its a despicable thing that someone is going into our society from another country and … changing our national anthem," Key said.
Those behind the new song say Key and others miss the point. The Spanish version is meant to show immigrant pride in a new country where they live and work.
It will be heard across the country at 7 p.m. ET tomorrow, debuting simultaneously on more than 700 Spanish language radio stations.
byline_abcnews.gif

Last edited:
Well, if there is so much pride, then it needs to be sung as it is sung in America!! Our fore fathers are from every country and found a language for common ground. It's seems it has all been for naught!!

I want to make clear, that my post is in no way prejudice to the Hispanic people. There are several cultures hear speaking there homeland language and I feel that if I were to go to their country, I better know their language. I feel it should be the same here. There are teachers here in Texas that are having their jobs threatened if they don't learn Spanish. I don't think that is right at all.
I have several relatives that are Hispanic and feel the same way. Do everything legally and everything is fine. Don't try to change what we have had for hundreds of years.

Last edited:
My grandfather was superintendant in the largest coal mind in the world for a period of time. Almost all his underground men were immigrants.
He always told them that since this country had taken them in time of need, the least they could do was learn to speak English. I agree with that.

Our National Anthem should be sung in English, with the original words.

Now...peace, brothers and sisters.

:) When in Rome?Do as the Romans.Right?If you want the American dream then I say embrace it!Keep your culture of course and celebrate it but if you choose to live in another culture go with it.My mother came from Germany and had to do the citizenship classes and test.They told her in the 1950s you are no longer German,African etc you are now an AMERICAN!

:) Oh Ya!I almost forgot when my mother came here I also came from Germany when I was 10 years old.I learned the language and so on it was not always easy fitting in but I did it.Yet I still totally embrace my German,Scott,and English Heritage.But Im an American.And thats that.

OKay I'll say it... I'm offended.
This is getting unreal. And another thing.
those people who are offended by the phrase
"In God We Trust" sure aren't offended when
the money's in their hands now are they ???

If this is too political please yank it but that's how I feel and I want to get it off of my chest. Okay I'm done ranting now.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Jose can you see by the Juan's early light?Just kidding Im just being silly!

:LOL: :LOL: I tried to give you karma for that one, but it said I had to spread it around before you got more:ermm:

Glad we're all on the same page, folks. I think we all had relatives from other countries. However, all my relatives learned to speak English and teared up at the sight of our nation's flag.

I heard a 30 second snippet on the talk radio station tonight.
It is beyond offensive. And, in June they plan on putting out
a remix.
yuck.

They claimed in the TV spot that the words were changed so the Spanish version would rhyme! I find that offensive. The original version in English rhymes. Sing that.

i really don't have a problem with the mere existence of the national anthem in any other language. i am not offended by it at all, rather, i think it's great! i guess it should be ok to sing it any way you can, to express your patriotism. (so long as it's not french...:cool: j/k)

as far as word for word goes, do you really know what the words mean; what they were written about? (please edumacate yourself on this if you don't know, but already have an opinion.)

since the words are a metaphor about the survival of the american ideal through adversity and the continuation thereof by it's people, and not about war and explosive ordinance, why not let a new author have a little license? i mean, if anyone can match it word for word in another language and make it sound ok, then so be it.

having said that, i don't think it should be adopted in any way as an official type of national anthem, we already have one.
but if someone wants to sing it at a private or predominantly spanish speaking event, or play it on a spanish language radio or tv station, then that's ok with me.

it's about being american, and loving our country.

(of all of the american members here, i think that i am probably one of the most affected by non-english speaking americans on a daily basis. just on my block alone, there are 6 or 7 different languages that are most commonly used, at home and on the street.
it irritates the heck out of me that some people, from all over the world of all skin colors, are too freakin' lazy to learn to speak english and have been living here for years. i've known many who live comfortably in their own ethnocentric neighborhoods, but then can't hold a conversation outside of their communities to save themselves. but if they try; if they make an effort, i will bend over backwards to try to communicate with them. my thought is how would you want to be treated if you had to move to another country with a difficult language? and how would you try to fit in?)

It is true that unless we are native Americans, we came from somewhere else, no matter how many generations back it may have been. However, they and we must speak the language of the country we've adopted and that is only right. I agree that keeping the customs of origin is a great thing and what makes our nation a melting pot, but anyone living in American should consider themselves American and speak and follow the rules of our country. So many things lately seem to be a matter of the "emperor's new clothes", a case of pulling the wool over our eyes degree by degree until we are ready to boil over at the arrogance of people seeking the American way of life and spitting in our faces at the same time. As an American from about 6 generations, I respect my country, my flag, the national anthem, the laws and traditions and still enjoy learning the way of life my foreign born ancestors may have lived. I see no contradiction in this, but bringing a little country to America and denying everything except the wealth of our country is offensive to me.

I agree with others that I'm not bothered by the fact that it's translated. Big deal, happens to everything everywhere. But keep the same words, that's bs. Plain and simple. People have had a problem with the words for a long time. They don't stand during it, they complain to whoever will listen, but they don't change the words (although some have tried.) They deal with it. I think I'm off to rewrite the Mexican anthem using the words taco, stealing, hombre and other words most people would find offensive. (jk) What's left in the world that we can take away or turn offensive somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom