Recipe Suggestions for Thinly Sliced Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
I went to the butcher shop today and bought a large hunk of prime beef round. I got half of it sliced into super thin slices and the rest into cubes for kabobs.

I am looking for ideas on rolled beef entrees. They have sliced it almost paper thin and they are long enough to roll. I was thinking perhaps stuffing it with something (ideas needed) and then securing it with toothpicks and serving it with some type of sauce on the top (anything without wine please).

Can someone give me some suggestions. I like blue cheese and the earthy flavor of mushrooms so if someone has ideas of how to incorporate that with the beef that would be great. Any other ideas are welcomed as well.

How about a brasciole-like filling? Bread crumbs, mozzarella, herbs, prosciutto or pine nuts? raisins?

Sauce ideas:
Mustard sauce
Horesradish, mayo, a little milk, S&P
Bleu cheese sauce
Compound butter(s)

http://www.napastyle.com/kitchen/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipe_id=232&category_id=200

Here's the recipe in its' entirety. See what you think about the filling:

Steak Involtini

Sirloin steak flattened and stuffed using the same technique as the classic German beef roulade, but which is adapted for the barbecue.

1½ lb Top Sirloin Grilling Steak or Rouladen-cut Inside Round Marinating Steak
Salt & pepper to taste
4 oz peppered goat cheese (e.g. chevre or feta with black pepper)
2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
12 sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Olive oil

If using sirloin steak, with mallet, pound steak to 1/8 inch thickness (this step is not necessary if using rouladen-cut steaks). Season beef with salt and pepper. Spread goat cheese to within ¼ inch of each steak’s edge; sprinkle with oregano. Place half of the spinach leaves over cheese. Add sun-dried tomatoes and cover completely with remaining spinach. Starting with long edge, roll up each steak like a jelly roll. Tie tightly in several places with butcher’s twine or hold together with skewers (presoak wooden skewers for 1 hour). Brush outside of each beef roll with balsamic vinegar and olive oil; season with salt and pepper.

Place beef on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook, turning once, for approximately 3-5 minutes per side (until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of each roll reads 155°F/68°C). Remove from heat; place seam-side-down on cutting board and tent with foil for 5 minutes. Remove string or skewers and cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5-cm) slices. Serve the involtini with new potatoes and grilled vegetables tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Last edited:
Another filling thought - roll the seasoned slices of beef around an asparagus spear, add bleu or cheese of choice - perhaps a thin slice of proscuitto.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom