Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chausiubao

Senior Cook
Does anybody know anything about curry (general information), spices and seasonings, ratios of those seasonings for different types of curry...

Anything would be appreciated.

Man you've come to the right place, My suggestion is to just buy curry pastes and powder. It's one of those things (like canned tomatoes) which just work ready made. Here are two simple curries I make with Curry Powder. I'm into Ayam powder atm, but Keens make a mean powder too.

Chicken Curry:
1 Red Onion
1 Clove crushed garlic
1 Cup Corn Kernels
500g Diced Chicken (Thighs are great for curry)
500gms small potatoes, cut in half. (About the same size as the chicken)
1 Cup chicken stock
1/2 Cup cocunut milk (Optional)
2 Tbsp Curry Powder

Cook onions and garlic over a medium heat until soft.
Add curry powder and cook until fragrant (This is a must for all currys)
In a seperate pan, brown chicken quickly
Add chicken to onion mix, and rest of the ingrediants.
Reduce the liquid until it's thick and potatoes are cooked. I boil the mixr reasonably hard for about 20 minutes.

Beef Curry:
As above but, swap chicken for beef, chicken stock for beef stock, replace cocunut milk with 1 Tbspn Tomato Paste. This adds a richness that compliments the darker meat. And add some green beans.

I've made curry paste from scratch, and I must say, the pre packaged stuff is honestly just as good. If using a paste in the above recipes, use a lot more of it, it's less potent than powder in most cases, but you must still toast it, untill fragrant. I can't stress enough how important it is, to release the aromatics in curry.

If your curry is too hot, add less next time, you wont notice less flavour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

That's a great article about curry that might answer some of your questions.

huh cool. maybe you can look over a recipe i found? I had a bit of difficulty with it, but that may soon resolved once i try it again.

16 oz. Ground Beef
1 Onion Diced
5 Chili Peppers Diced
2 Bay Leaves Diced
2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
2 Slices Ginger Crushed
3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
1/2 C. Tomato Sauce

Oil a pot and fry diced bay leaves and chili peppers, then add onions and cook on low heat until caramelized. Add ground beef and cook until not visibly raw, add curry powder and tomato sauce, cook on medium low for 20 to 30 minutes. Add Garlic and Ginger and cook for several more minutes and salt as needed.

I'm pretty sure that curry is a sauce based dish made from reducing down the liquid that is used to make the curry, but with this recipe, it seems like there wouldn't be all that much liquid to begin with, indeed when i tried the liquid that came out of the beef and the tomato sauce didn't amoun to much liquid, or am i missing something? I could always try a different recipe, i dunno if this recipes all that rustworthy.

ah. this is interesting, i don't htink its physically possible to look at every recipe here. But i guess thats a good thing. I'll be sure to peruse and try a few. O and can a mod or admin take care of my little double post up there =b.

Keep in mind that there are literally hundreds (if not more) of different types of curries based in several different cuisines. It would really be impossible to give you "general" information about them on an internet forum.

If I were you & were interested in curries, I'd not only search the web, but also perhaps pick up a few inexpensive Indian, Thai, Carribean, &/or Indonesian-style cookbooks. Most have glossaries with in-depth explanations of ingredients & different curry spice mixes.

A little research will lead to some interesting cooking & eating.

I have to say that in all my years of travelling and eating curries all round the world, I've never eaten a curry with minced beef in it! :chef:

Hi Ishbel, actually Keema is very popular in Indian cuisine and our Keema (minced or ground beef) is made with curry spices.

I love to cook that with some peas in it.

The recipe that Chausibao posted is for Keema and it's definitely an Indo/Pak preparation. I have never heard of Indonesian's or Thai or any others making a ground beef curry.

Curry powder (Indian style) would be fine for this recipe. I normally roast whole cumin seeds (1 tsp), corrainder seeds (1 tsp), black pepper (4 whole ones), cloves (2), 1 small stick of cinnamon and 2 cardamom pods to make my masala (or curry concoction). It can get more involved but these spices are sufficient to get the flavors in a curry. Add to that a little tumeric and some red chili powder and paprika and you made yourself a curry spice mix. I know I make it sound easy but it is indeed easy if you have these spices in your pantry. If not it's easier to buy curry powder especially if you only cook this type of food once in a while.

Also some tips I can give you about making a really nice keema (ground beef) curry is to ensure that the onions are almost browned and then the spices and tomatoes are added and cooked until almost a paste. Next add the keema and let it cook covered (break the lumps) for atleast 30 minutes. Now using elbow grease saute the beef until it's nicely browned. I don't like watery looking keema curry. To get a nice taste you have to use elbow grease.

All the best.

Beef curries are almost unheard of in our 'Indian' restaurants - don't quite know why, as most of the Chefs are not Indian, but Pakistani or Bangladeshi :chef:

I hadn't been accustomed to anything Indian using beef either, however according to Yakuta, beef can be eaten regularly in some northern part of India, among the Muslims. It is the Hindi who do not eat beef and among the region with Muslims, pork is instead forbidden.

After she told me that I tried curried meatballs with minced beef, they were quite tasty:)

Actually the keema curry you get in Indian restaurants (and you get them in India and also in US) are made with ground Lamb since the restaurants cater to both Hindus and Muslims and Hindus are a majority so they have to adjust since beef is strictly off limits for them.

I make my curry with beef because I like the taste and I am not a huge lamb fan (especially here in the US) because it's rather gamey in taste.

Yes, the few 'Indian' restaurants we had in the 60s were owned by Hindus who naturally shunned beef. But, when the huge flowering of our 'Indian' restaurants happened, they were really Pakistani or Bangadeshi - who could served beef but obviously chose not to, in order to keep up the 'Indians don't cook beef curry' idea :)

Yes, I love beef curries - I make my own out of stewing beef and love it. :chef:

I struggle with Indian style curries as prepared in restaurants here (in the UK). I find they overcook the spices and are quite bitter.

When in Australia I ate quite a few curries, Thai and Nepalese, and I loved them, so I am vowing to make more curries at home.

I started last night with a Thai jungle curry using a Charmaine Solomon paste with diced lamb, pak choy and coconut milk. It was a resounding success!

I think it's a matter of what we learned to eat as youngsters, Kyles. My sister swears she cannot get a 'real' Indian curry in Australia. And, having tried 3 curry houses in Sydney and 2 in Canberra with her, I'd have to agree. Don't think they were 'wrong', the dishes just didn't taste the same, but had the same name!

Now, Thai and Vietnamese food? I think that's better in Australia than in the UK by a mile :chef:

Is that you back in darkest Lancs or are you still in the land of Neighbours?!

I'm in darkest Lancs (well sunny Salford today) got back on Saturday. My brain is somewhere hovering over the middle east! Hope it comes back to me soon!

I never find the jet lag so bad going TO Aus as when coming back :cool: Somehow, I don't mind waking WIDE awake at 3.00 am in Sydney or wherever, probably because I'm on holiday! But, coming back and then having to go to work only a couple of days later is a killer.:)

I make curry at least a couple times a month, and simply go by taste. My pantry has at least a couple of Indian-style curry blends picked up at my local Asian grocer, turmeric, dark mustard seed, coriander seed, hot pepper (right now an Indian product from the aforementioned grocer, but I'm not above adding mexican cayenne if I need the heat and that's what is there), garam masala, cumin, and coconut milk. My favorite veggies for an Indian-style curry are potatoes, onions, carrots and cauliflower. I do like to depend on jarred Thai curries for that cuisine, especially green. And, especially with Thai curries, never forget that you want tons of fresh herbs. If you're 'scared of your guests' reactions to, say, cilantro, then take a glass and put it on the table full of water and herbs, like a bouquet of flowers, and have everyone grab what they want. Guests love interactive dinners like that; it gets the conversation flowing. I also put out crushed peanuts. Hawaiian-style curries will have bowls of peanuts, shredded coconut, chopped hard-boiled eggs and other condiments. This strikes me as rather Indonesian in origin, but then Hawaii is the ultimate melting pot (how I miss the food!!!).

For Indian curry, go the extra mile and make up some basmati rice. For Thai, Jasmine rice. It's a nice extra touch.

I make up a batch of what I call Indian-style curry and always have some in the freezer. I make it meatless, then add meat -- often leftover meat from a cookout -- if we want it.

I don't go by a recipe, just make it. My Brit and Pakistani friends seem happy with it. NEVER, and i do mean NEVER try to match someone else's experience. You can never, ever make something that is just like they used to get in their salad days in another country, or what Mom made, or .... Don't go there. I plainly say, "this is my take on this particular dish, I'm not trying to create Bangkok, London, or New Dehli." Don't invite people to compare your food to your mother-in-law's, or a certain restaurant if you love cooking. Some people love to cook, others love to compete. When you do the latter, you ruin the dinner party!

Oh! I forgot! I often make Indian style curries using golden or red lentils to thicken the sauce (dal).

"Curry" is like "spaghetti sauce" ... it's regional and totally open to interpretation depending on who is making it. I know the curry my friend Usha (from India) makes is nothing like the curry Madon (from Nepal) makes - and nothing like that from my friend from Thailand.

Here is a place to find more curry recipes than you can shake a stick at!

But, as someone alluded to earlier - do you mean curry as a spice or as a dish?

Curry Powder was, most probably, prepared for an ex-patriot Brit by his Indian batman. If you look up authentic Indian food sites on the web, you'll see recipes using turmeric, or coriander seeds, or cumin seeds, or fenugreek, or cardamom - but very, very rarely, curry powder. I believe the word is probably a transliteration of the Tamil word kari, which means sauce.

Authentic Indian food uses individual spices according to the main ingredients AND the region in India. The most common spice mixes I've come across in Indian food are Garam Masala ( which means hot spices, but doesn't include chili peppers!) Panch Puran ( Bengali 5-spice mixture, used whole, and includes cumin seed, fennel seed, kalonji seed, mustard seed and fenugreek seed) and a slightly lesser known mixture called sambhar, which is from South India and includes ground lentils. Each household has it's own Garam Masala,jealously guarded by the Chef!

Learning to use and combine the individual spices takes years. I've been cooking "authentic" ( well at least, I think so!) Indian food for 30 years and, like Socrates, the only thing I know is that I know nothing.

A wonderful Punjabi lady in Deptford, South London, once told me that the best way to start learning about Indian food was to buy some coriander seeds, some cumin seeds, and some turmeric powder. Take 3 tsps of coriander, 2 tsps cumin and roast the seeds gently till you can smell the aroma. Grind these seeds and add 1 tsp turmeric. ( Easy - 3:2:1).
Then chop up an onion, with a piece of ginger and two or three cloves of garlic. Fry these in ghee (Indian clarified butter) until just brown, then add the spices. Mix together quickly, then add meat, chicken, vegetables, etc. Add water and salt to taste.
I went home and tried it out - and I've never looked back. That was in 1974.

I'm not knocking curry powder, though. It's a glorious standby. Once you 've made your own, though, you may never return to those stale shop-bought brands! You will be enchanted forever!!

Thai curries, Indonesian curries, Trinidadian curries and even Venezuelan curries are totally and absolutely different from the original Indian dish, incorporating local ingredients and tastes .

I could talk about "curries" all day long!

Chausiubao said:
huh cool. maybe you can look over a recipe i found? I had a bit of difficulty with it, but that may soon resolved once i try it again.

16 oz. Ground Beef
1 Onion Diced
5 Chili Peppers Diced
2 Bay Leaves Diced
2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
2 Slices Ginger Crushed
3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
1/2 C. Tomato Sauce

I'm pretty sure that curry is a sauce based dish made from reducing down the liquid that is used to make the curry.

This recipe is for a "dry" curry, so you won't get much sauce. Not all "curry" dishes are floating in sauce!
If you can find some Curry Leaves at your local Indian grocery, try them instead of the bay leaves. I'd also try using a cup of fresh, diced tomatoes ( or even canned tomatoes, blitzed in a blender) instead of the "tomato sauce".I'd also add the garlic & ginger with the spices.

Back
Top Bottom