ISO smoked turkey filling for calzone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
The calzone you all helped me with was such a success that my husband requested I make one with some smoked turkey I had in the freezer. I don't want to use any tomato sauce with this one.

Here are some things I have on hand:
*Smoked turkey
*mushrooms, canned or frozen ones that were sauteed with EVOO and garlic
*olives, plain green or black
*frozen broccoli or peas
*sliced ham
*venison salami
*frozen cubes of pesto (no nuts)
*pimentoes
*sour cream
*asst. "cream of" soups
*cheeses: feta, mozzerella, cheddar, parmesan, bleu, Monteray Jack, cream

Ideas?

:huh:

With smoked turkey as the key ingredient, I'd add some of the sauteed mushrooms and the cheese of your choice and maybe some of the pimentos.

Where I work, we just started serving a new sandwich that is proving to be extremely popular. It's shaved smoked turkey, smoked cheddar, apples and onions sauteed in butter, and a sage mayo. Maybe some of those would work for the calzone?

If it were up to me, I will use the mixture of cream cheese blended with grated parmigiano, and chopped olives (either black or green, depending on your preference).

Have you tried feta with your calzone last time? How did it turn out? If you liked it, feta may work, too... in salad or cold sandwich, it goes well with smoked turkey breast. Also with a little addition of chopped/sliced olives...

Smoked turkey, pesto, mozzarella and shrooms. Brush the zones with melted butter and sprinkle Parmesan over the top.

Combine the cream cheese with a little pesto & mozzarella or Parm, spread on the dough, top with smoked turkey, or ham (or combo of turkey, ham & salami -- a calzone club :) ), pimientos and shrooms or olives.

Last edited:
I ended up sweating some finely chopped onion, then added the shrooms, pimentoes, a little pesto, and turkey. I mixed a little cream of mushroom soup in it as a binder, and used the mozzerella and parmesan cheeses. I would have like to have tried the feta, but DH turned up his nose. I'll sneak it in on him next time.
The filling was delicious, and the top part of the crust was great, but the bottom crust was soggy. I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes...I think it needed another 10-15 minutes. I also cooked it on an insulated baking sheet, which is great for cookies, but not so good for something that needs a good crust on the bottom. And next time, I'll leave out the cream of mushroom...it wasn't really necessary, and may have contributed to the "sog".
It was certainly good enough to eat, though. There's enough left over for tonight, and I'm hoping that when I re-heat it in the oven, the bottom will crisp up some.
Live & learn. These are fun to do, and DH likes to help, so we'll be experimenting more in the future.

Do you have one of the pizza pans that's perforated? This allows for a crispy crust when you bake.

Back
Top Bottom