Question about Electric Ice Cream Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smmcl

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!!

My husband and I found an older electric ice cream maker that used to be his grandmothers. It is a nice ice cream maker - it has a wooden bucket that you put the big metal container in. It has plastic "beaters" that attach into the motor mechanism that spans the top of the wooden bucket. I have not been able to locate instructions on how to use the ice cream maker as Sunbeam does not list it on their site, i'm guessing because it is older.

What I have learned through my limited poking around on the web is that we might have to use the ice/salt method. But not having the instructions to the thing, how much ice/salt do I use. I've read that some use rock salt, now is that rock salt like i put on my steps in the winter?

Also the metal container seems to be about a gallon. do I need to make a gallon of ice cream or can I make smaller amounts. Can I just use any ol' recipe for ice cream, or is there different types of recipes for the different types of ice cream makers - and by that i mean the types that need ice/salt and those that cool themselves.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!

Those ice cream makers are very similar to those presently sold in the stores with the plastic buckets. They have gallon containers inside too and no you don't have to make a whole gallon, just enough for the paddles to stir.

I'd be willing to bet that if you called Sunbeam Customer Service at (800) 325-9324 they would be happy to help you or find somebody who can. Perhaps they even have the instruction booklet in their archives.

You mix ice and salt (any kind) and fill the combination to the top after putting in the metal container with the ice cream mixture.

You would fill the metal container up to approx. 2/3 - 3/4 full as the mix expands as you crank and freeze.

You must be speaking about the White Mountain machine. I had one of those machines.

It was a White Mountain (now Rival) 4-qt. electric model. It lasted 20 years from '83 to '03. I hated to part with it, but it squeaked so badly that it became quite unbearable to use. And I had no other choice but to thow it away.

That's when I decided to get the self-contained unit that I got now. I bought three extra bowls for it so that I can make several batches of ice cream without having to wash the bowls as often between batches!

And it IS ACTUALLY the salt which helps to bring down the temp of the ice to freeze the mixure inside the canister.

Good luck though with yours!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom