Anyone go to a culinary school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

primus diddy

Assistant Cook
I don't ask because I'm interested. I wouldn't cook or be a chef for a living (a minute difference, I know). I wouldn't be able to handle the stess. I'm all about good friends, good food, and more good food.

Anyway, I actually would kind of like to go to culinary schoo, but it'd be a waste at this point in my life. I need a career first.

How many people here have graduated from a culinary school, or with a degree in the culinary arts?

i went to Johnson & Wales and have a culinary arts degree. i think you should consider looking up your local community college or if you have a culinary school in your area and just take some courses on topics of your choice, not as a degree-seeker but rather just to learn about topics you like such as Asian Cuisine or BBQ/Grilling... my uncle has just retired and will be doing this as he wants a little exposure to cooking in a controlled environment with an instructor and the experience of the interchange of ideas between peers

Some culinary schools offer courses for foodies. Not with the intent of preparing you for a career but as a way to enhance your knowledge and love of cooking.

I've been to CIA in Hyde Park NY. Many culinary programs have continuing ed for serious interested enthusiasts as well as career change paths. CIA has day courses, weekend courses, and full week bootcamps for interested enthusiasts. ICE (Institute of Culinary Education) and FCI (French CUlinary Institute) in NYC also have classes for enthusiasts. Make sure you sign up for a hands on class not a demonstration.

Cordon Bleu has about 12 schools nationwide in USA. DC has L'Academie de Cuisine, Johnson and Wales is a great school, etc. Many State Univisity systems now have affiliate culinary scools as well.

By all means find a program and cook up a storm.

i'm an 'A+' le corden bleu student. rigorous, yeah. you learn more than cooking- respect for Chef is huge. & difference between Chef & a cook is huge.:LOL:as soon as i accomplish my initial cooking degree & get some loans, i'm going to Johnson & Wales, Lord willing. Chef encourages further degrees.

Last edited:
I agree with the others who have said if you are a foodie, it would be a fun thing for you to do - go to culinary school. Because you aren't thinking of going into cooking professionally, I would suggest you look up the ACF (American Culinary Fedration) Apprenticeship program. It's so inexpensive compared to the great culinary schools and it certainly taught me all I needed to know to get my foot in the door, in the cooking world.

ACF is a serious deal, lol. that's all i have to say about that, 'cept that jr. ACF competitors dedicate each Sunday for a yr. before competing. i, amongst others, fed our guests & was in a room with several master Chefs (of only 56) whom were wearing labcoats & critiquing meals.
culinary school is more for those who can take strong advice (to be mild.) $50,000 is small to me for what i've learned. you learn & you learn quick.

Last edited:
I'm not a professional chef or cook, but have attended lots of cookery courses in the UK, Ireland and counties of the European mainland. Some courses have been only day courses, some a week, one (Cordon Bleu school in Paris) for a month or six weeks (so long ago, I can' remember for sure!).

I have been on courses at schools run by famous chefs - and also on courses run by local people who just know their own cuisines well.

I love to cook, love to taste new things - but I could no more work in a professional kitchen than fly in the air! You need to be a very special sort of person to take the stresses involved.:)

cjs said:
"ACF is a serious deal, lol. that's all i have to say about that,"

?????

american culinary federation. i have pics i'll try to post.

Last edited:
nuh-uh, sweets, i haven't had that privelige. only providing meals for guests. it'd be great to compete. it's so much work, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom