Kinkaid's Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
First, I apologize if this is misplaced. I really wasn't sure where to put it, since the topic is somewhat combined with the query of the restaurant and the reason for going there (8th anniversary).

Anyways, has anyone ever dined at this "chain" establishment? I say chain loosely, as I know there are multiple locations, but not as many as other "chain" restaurants. If their pricing is indicitive (sp?) of their cuisine, then it's gotta be some dang good grub!

Tuesday, December 5th is when DW and I are going for our 8th anniversary. I checked them out online, and found business casual as acceptable dress as well as most plates starting around $30.

Sorry Dog, haven't been to one.

Went to kincaids.com and they seem to have outlets in nine cities. None of those are close to us.

Went to the menu for the St. Paul's restaurant and it seems very nice. Most main courses seem to be in the $20-$30 range with some higher.

Found a few reviews for the restaurants, little for the St. Paul one however, and are positive.

Of course have had the experience with a restaurant in one location being quite different in terms of food quality, presentation, and service than one in another.

Anyway, sounds good to me. Enjoy.

We have one here in Hampton Roads, at MacArthur center. As a chef, I try to avoid chain restaurants at ALL costs....I had to go there for a meeting in Norfolk.

Honestly, I was surprised. The food was actually well prepared, fundamentally correct and tastefully presented. The wine and cognac list was impressive as well.

In short, from a professional stand point, I would go back. I have no problems paying for a good meal, so long as it is good.

I hope you and dw have a great dinner, and anniversary!

The Kincaid's in Honolulu was actually my first restaurant job. Started as a dishwasher and worked my way up to a line cook.

The food is basically clean tasting, fairly basic and not really high on the creative or imaginative side, but you get a quality product. The prime rib is a must try. If you go to Kincaid's just once, you have to have the prime rib.

ironchef said:
The prime rib is a must try. If you go to Kincaid's just once, you have to have the prime rib.

Oh yeah, that was going to be my choice! Maybe even coupled with lobster or shrimp.

DW always gets filt mignion (sp?) when it is available, so I know that's what she's gonna get.

I love just a couple miles from a Kincaid's, and I agree with ironchef. I would say that it is one of the better "chain" restaurants and certainly a good choice for a celebratory dinner, even though it may not have the cachet of a more "gourmet" restaurant. The few times I've been there, I've ordered fish.

We often receive coupons for $20 off our dinner. Unfortunately, we let the last one expire without using it.

Oh my goodness, what a great dining experience! Nice to try to pull out the classier duds and see how high society lives!

Had a reservation for 6:30, and was seated around 6:35. Not bad, particularly as they were busy. I had made the reservation online and might have mentioned it was our anniversary :angel: (DW didn't know) so she was surprised when both the hostess and server offered congratulations. The server was extremely polite and proffessional throughout, and was gracious is "educating" us commoners of the mannerisms of fine dining (meaning suggesting signature dishes, offering adult beverages, etc.). I was very impressed with the service.

DW ordered a salad and I ordered clam chowder, and both were excellent. The server said the seafood is flown in fresh every day and used that day. I could tell with the clam chowder. It's by far the best I've had since departing from New England.

For the main course, DW ordered filet mignon (sp?) and I ordered the prime rib (large cut, of course). Mine was perfect, but DW's was not done quite to her liking, but didn't want to send it back. She ordered medium well, but it was more like a medium to medium rare. Regardless, it was melt in your mouth tender. Even with it not being quite to her liking, DW didn't leave any behind (I had a bite or two, but that was it).

We were then served the house signature creme brule (on the house, as it were) on a plate hand painted with "Happy Anniversary" on it. We ordered a dessert each (yet to consume) for the road. All in all a fabulous experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone else. I'm sure glad we didn't have to pay for it (used a gift card) though! Aye Carumba! Dinner for two, including gratuity, and no adult beverages came to $120!

BigDog I am really glad that you enjoyed your dinner - we do not have a Kinkaid's Restaurant chain here in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California.

ironchef said:
Glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner. BTW, how did you like the prime rib in terms of taste? I still have an affinity for Kincaid's as it was my very first restaurant job.

I was very pleased. Very simple, and not overseasoned like a couple places I've been. There was options to have additional seasoning(s), but I went all natural, of course with the side of au jus. Had I finished the steak there, I would have liked more au jus, but since I didn't, what was provided was sufficient. The steak was also well trimmed. Of course that is a fatty cut anyways, but some restaurants serve prime rib with more fat then meat. This was the opposite end; very much meat and a bit of fat. I wasn't able to finish it all, but the rest went to prime rib, eggs, and toast for breakfast today! Yum!

If the cost of dining there wasn't as high as it is, it would certainly be a place to dine at once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom