Request: Duck breasts, nuts, orange juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viking

Assistant Cook
Hello and Greetings from Denmark,

I am looking for a recipe for Christmas (we celebrate it the 24th in the
evening).

I have bought duck breasts and are looking for a recipe containing,
the breasts, nuts (chopped) and orange juice. Maybe also ginger and
herbs.

Any suggestions?

Thank you !

Susanne

Whatever you do, grill (pan fry) the breasts rare!! Score the skin and get it real crispy first. Have you seen a recipe with these ingredients? We fixed one with a cherry sauce that was just SO elegant and delicious.

Cherry sauce sounds good but traditional Christmas dessert in Denmark is served with cherry sauce, so ...

No I have not seen a recipe with these ingredients I hoped someone have one.

Make an orange beurre blanc. I don't see the nuts in the sauce with duck. Maybe make some sugared nuts for a garnish for a salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

Reduce the orange juice and the ginger together until syrupy, then make a vinaigrette with the reduction as the base. Thyme would be the best herb to compliment the flavors, although you could use tarragon or just parsley. Fold in the nuts at the end.

along with the reduced o.j., you might try a chutney - saute up some onions, fresh ginger, fennel seed, red pepper flakes and cinnamon stick, then add some champagne vinegar, sugar and diced pears and deglaze. Toss in some dried cranberries also. Very good with duck breasts.

top with a few toasted walnuts.

ironchef said:
Reduce the orange juice and the ginger together until syrupy, then make a vinaigrette with the reduction as the base. Thyme would be the best herb to compliment the flavors, although you could use tarragon or just parsley. Fold in the nuts at the end.

Now that sounds pretty good to me. A new take on duck à l'orange.

Candocook said:
Whatever you do, grill (pan fry) the breasts rare!! Score the skin and get it real crispy first.

You might not care for your duck breast to be rare, but i highly advise scoring the skin and letting the fat render out and the skin get crispy. Fatty tasting duck is just gross.

Rare duck is not like rare chicken (double ICK!!). It really resembles a delicious steak. Well done grilled duck will tend to be tough also .
But the skin can be done VERY crispy and delicious. And it does take a while for duck to cook, so it will not overcook while getting the skin crisp.

Back
Top Bottom