Rat Poison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Who would ever think of putting rat poison in cat/dog food? What next baby food? Real sick people.

Did someone get accused of tampering with the food ingredients?
I would think it would be hard to keep pesticides and poisons out of any food items associated with grains. I feel the rat poison just happened to turn up. I don't think it was the rat poison that caused the deaths because it was such a small amount and rat poison attacks the liver and is an anti-coagulant (sp?). The pets died from kidney failure.
Just my thoughts.

Informed

The people that reported on the ABC News last night at 5:30 said they were going to 'get to the bottom' of this and reported it rat poison. What has been bothering me is I recently switched to the wet dog food after more than 10 year of the dry. The dogs were not eating and I figured they were bored. Well, when I got case of the wet food they didn't eat it either. I thought I would just hold off for few days and made them eat it. Who knows the reason? With all this happening now I am going to look into something more closely like I do with the family. May even consider fixing them food we eat! No just kidding. Probably wouldn't last with all the preservatives that our food has in it. Someone on another site gave list of brand names to look for called holistic food for dogs. May try to see about that. Dogs are part of our family and will try to treat them the way they do us.

Here's a little something I already posted about food.
The bottom line is, you cannot buy quality pet food in a grocery store because they make it too cheap, as evidenced by the quality control issues in the Menu Food case.
Nutro has two newer foods out you can get at a Petsmart or similar toting itself as holistic, but I don't like some of the things in it. One of them (Ultra) out of the first five ingredients in it, one is corn gluten and three are various forms of rice! Yeah, that's a real natural food for dogs :rolleyes:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/dc-pet-owners-33329-2.html#post417912

Oops, I guess you can't copy and paste within a reply or I'd move the link back up where it belongs:(

My take on this is let the people who are supposed to look into this do their business.

Have seen a number of different stories. The truth right now seems not available.

My attitude is we should just calm down, give the guys in charge a chance to do their jobs, and then make a determination.

Premature hysteria does no one any good at any time.

auntdot said:
My take on this is let the people who are supposed to look into this do their business.

Have seen a number of different stories. The truth right now seems not available.

My attitude is we should just calm down, give the guys in charge a chance to do their jobs, and then make a determination.

Premature hysteria does no one any good at any time.

Haven't they already been looking into it and doing their business? You lost me :huh:

I don't see anything wrong discussing what has been reported by the news and pet food companies.
And in the topics I have read on this board I saw nothing that came close to premature hysteria, although if I was feeding one of those foods and putting my pet at risk, I feel i would have every right to be upset. Same as with the recent spinach scare.
I wouldn't confuse public awareness with hysteria, but that's just my take. :)

As Buck and I understand it, from some of the news reports, foreign wheat was used in the manufacturing of the pet food. The country the wheat came from, China I think, used a pesticide that either was rat poison or similar to rat poison to rid the wheat of undesirable critters. This kind of pesticide is not allowed in the U.S., so this is what investigators feel was the culprit.

anybody remember the drama in the 1970's in Michigan when animals, cows, chickens, started dying? As I remember, after months of investigations, and the offending feed company staunchly saying they were not responsible, they indeed did turn out to be responsible. A mistake was made and an unmarked bag(s) of a fire retartant was mixed in with the feed. The disturbing thing at that time was how the feed company denied any wrong doing waaaay past when it was clear they were to blame.

Holistic for US

Holistic Foods (U.S.)

Artemis
AvoDerm
Back to Basics
Blue Buffalo
California Natural
Canidae
Canine Caviar
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Eagle Pack
Evolve
Drs. Foster and Smith Healthy Foods
Flint River Ranch
Fromm Family Foods
Great Life
Innova
Karma Organic
Life's Abundance
Merrick
Natural Balance
Natural Life
Nature's Recipe
Nature's Variety
Newman's Own Organics
NutriSource
O&M Pet Products
Pet Promise
PHD Products
Pinnacle
Premium Edge
PRO PAC
Royal Canin
Sensible Choice
Sojos
Solid Gold
Sportsman's Pride
Timberwolf Organics
Triumph
Ultra Holistic
Wellness
Wysong

I don't think you will find these at any stores. Have to go online to get them. No idea about cost or other things. Only security that the dogs/cats will be safe. No price too high for life of your dog/cat, anything that takes a life.

In the Kitchen said:
Holistic Foods (U.S.)
I don't think you will find these at any stores. Have to go online to get them. No idea about cost or other things. Only security that the dogs/cats will be safe. No price too high for life of your dog/cat, anything that takes a life.

You will find them at specialty stores. Smaller scale shops, like kennels, herbal or holistic supply stores, groomers.... I know at least for Canidae they have a store locator on their website. Do you live by me? I sell Canidae ;)
Chicken Soup can usually be found at feed stores, Agways.... because it is made by Diamond and that is a popular food at those places.

Sorry pacanis, perhaps I phrased my response too harshly.

I have seen far too many stories that were later changed due to poor reporting.

I have read many stories about this, and the 'pesticide/poison' take is just the latest. There were several other 'causes' for the animal deaths before that.

Was brought up by an old newspaperman who demanded facts and believed little of what he saw in print. He was usually right.

The media has gone craxy these days, and gossip gets printed as fact.

To me, in my experience, this case is not easily explained. And it will take a while for the full truth to come out.

That is all I meant to say. If I ruffled some feathers, I apologize.

No apology necessary auntdot. We all know how typing replies often gets a different meaning than intended and I certainly didn't mean to ruffle your feathers either :)

The way reports are leaked out today and news not always accurate you're right.... a lot of talking goes on trying to piece things together. Like why didn't Walmart pull the products immediately after hearing about the recall, why did Iams want left off the list and a referral to their website issued, why this Canadian co. had to import wheat from China when Canada has a surplus of their own, why isn't EVERY case being reported (I know of six at two different vets myself)...... It's all a jumbled mess and I'm sure going to get more confusing before anything gets sorted out.

The upside is it is educating people that things aren't always as they seem when they see these commercials of bouncy puppies with images of vegetables and farm animals dazzling the TV screen. The pet food industry is a nasty one and one that needs a LOT more govt regulation. But then, pets should no longer be classified as "property" anymore either. They have taken on a much more important role in most people's lives. That Menu has agreed to pay their vet bills should be the least that they do.

Oops, maybe I was on the verge of hysteria there :ROFLMAO:

It's all good :)

News

Doesn't this all make a person paranoid? I always want to tell the truth. Maybe what I repeat from the news, isn't.

I would like someone's opinion about dogs. I have two dogs,both are old and afraid of strangers. They run to me rath er than barking like they had in hte past when I had a third dog. Being alone at night bothers me cause we have no lights at night. Now I will be alone for several weeks since they are going out of town. Do I get another dog which may bother the two i now have or should I just wait until they all come to an end? One is completely deaf and blind the other blind and has the diabetes. one is 11 the other is 12. Just would like your opinions since I know you are all dog lovers.

Hijacked

I didn't what they say 'hijack' a thread did I? Just feel to start topic someplace else not necessary. I am guilty of getting people upset when I discuss extra things. Hope you understand.

I have been getting emails from Petco where I buy Jolie's food. Her food is dry and I add hot water to it to make it moist for her to ear. Thank goodness there is no problem with her food but I really feel sorry for the animals that died.

This world that we live in is filled with really sick people and to think that someone put Rat Poison is the food is unbelievable.

News

YT2095 said:
what are we on about here? can anyone cite any sources?
I`m totaly Lost!

Have you heard about the people having their pets die from the wet dog/cat food they are feeding them? It has been all over the news about the RAT POISON. Do you have pets? Are you feeding them 'wet' canned food?

In the Kitchen said:
I didn't what they say 'hijack' a thread did I? Just feel to start topic someplace else not necessary. I am guilty of getting people upset when I discuss extra things. Hope you understand.

Hmmm, maybe..... is it possible to hijack your own thread?
;)

"I would like someone's opinion about dogs. I have two dogs,both are old and afraid of strangers. They run to me rath er than barking like they had in hte past when I had a third dog. Being alone at night bothers me cause we have no lights at night. Now I will be alone for several weeks since they are going out of town. Do I get another dog which may bother the two i now have or should I just wait until they all come to an end? One is completely deaf and blind the other blind and has the diabetes. one is 11 the other is 12. Just would like your opinions since I know you are all dog lovers."

I'm not sure I understand. Your two dogs are going out of town and you want to add a third while they're gone?
I'd be happy to offer my opinions once I know exactly what you mean. This thread or different one.

mr. callie and i sell dog and cat food. we researched and were very happy with Natura Pet Products. They make Innova, California Natural and Health Wise. I encourage anyone interested to Google Natura Pet Products to find their website and check it out.

I agree with In the Kitchen that our pets are important members of our families and should be treated accordingly. :)

Back
Top Bottom