Near-Beers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougiezerts

Assistant Cook
How do all of you feel about non-alcoholic beer? Pretty good, or a pale imitation of the real thing?
When I was a teen, I tried one of the first non-alcoholic beers that was out. Don't remember the name, but I do remember it came from Switzerland. I thought it was very good, but my dad hated it!
Since then, I've tried a few that are quite good.

My impression is that most non alcoholics are made to model the mass produced stuff, which I just cant drink. I stole a miller light from my roomie yesterday and it tasted like water to me. Personally I rather drink 1 really good beer with a high alcohol content than near beers all night.

dougiezerts said:
How do all of you feel about non-alcoholic beer? Pretty good, or a pale imitation of the real thing?
When I was a teen, I tried one of the first non-alcoholic beers that was out. Don't remember the name, but I do remember it came from Switzerland. I thought it was very good, but my dad hated it!
Since then, I've tried a few that are quite good.

Well, it's kind of an "it depends" type of answer. Since all N/A beers still usually have some amount of alcohol in them, they aren't a free pass.

Falvor wise, I don't think they are the greatest, but they aren't bad for what they are.

Is it just a matter of trying to avaoid most of the alcohol?

John

My partner does not drink alcohol for several reasons, one medical, but enjoys the N/A beers with social events and meals. Some of them, such as the German ones, Becks, St Pauli, etc are tasty in their own right. The N/A beer is much more successful than the N/A wine, which tastes like flat koolaid fiz gone sour.

Technically, near-beers contain less than 1/2% alcohol in them, at least that's what their labels say.
I don't drink them to avoid alcohol per se, just for the taste difference.
I seem to recall that Swiss near-beer's name was Birelle.

I'm not much of a beer drinker and whenever I'm around it I always think, it smells like a baseball game in here :P so I guess my only insight into near-beer would be that since its like real beer, but without the thing that really makes beer, beer; then I guess it would probably smell like a baseball game where the Pirates are playing.

hehehe, couldn't resist, go Mariners!

I tried O'Douls years ago & thought it was pretty good. Worth a try. These days I like either Coors Lite in the can or Michelob Ultra Amber. Not near beers, but pretty darn good taste. :-p

The only beers I enjoy today is an occasional very hearty ale, and you don't find them in the supermarket.

But when I used to drink lagers tried several of the NA types.

For some reason they just did not do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom