New Wooden Salad Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I just bought a wooden salad bowl with matching individual serving bowls. They aren't laquered. What is the best way to care for them?

Are they maple...like the traditional Caesar salad bowls? If they are they need cleaning with hot water ONLY - NO SOAP!!! Dry them after each use and then let them air out NOT nested together. To keep the wood moisturized they need a slathering of butcher block oil or mineral oil after every few uses. What I do is slather mine really well inside and out and turn upside down for the excess to drain - it drains on my butcher block island so then that gets a dose of moisture too!

They could also be walnut. Buck gave me a beautiful huge walnut salad bowl for Mother's Day. It's gorgeous. Kitchenelf is spot on as far as caring for your bowl. My bowl is lightly finished, but I'd care for it similarly. Since Buck is a professional woodworker/furniture restorer, he is my first source of information.

? Wood ?

I really don't recognize the wood pattern. It wasn't identified on the label. It is from the Philippines.

They could also be acacia wood, which is not an endangered species and not harvested from rain forests.

If you do what kitchenelf suggests the wooden bowls will last a very long time. I have my mom's and they are decades old.

Just pour on wood oil and rub all over (inside and out) - let soak in. After about 6 - 8 hours repeat the process until oil no longer absorbs in. Wipe off any excess. Do this when you notice the wood drying out. Of course, no dishwasher and no soap and no soaking. Hand wash only and dry immediately - let dry overnight before you nest the bowls.

Back
Top Bottom