Freaking Delicious Chicken Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

homegrownrecipes

Assistant Cook
I was over at a friends house and we had the best chicken dish ever. I insisted on having the recipe. Well i forgot about it then a while later I was at her house and we were planning dinner. She pulled out bones chicken breast and then I finally got the recipe.

If you want to try this the recipe:

First you need boneless skinless chicken.
(just to say this is not quit perfected)
Next one whole jar of mayo and 3 cans of cream of chicken soup.
(if your not making a ton you can use 2 can of soup and 2/3rds of the mayo)
Mix the soup and mayo in a bowl till blended.
Now poor a layer of the mixture into a glass baking pan.
Place the chicken in the sauce then poor the rest of the mixture over the chicken.
Now cover the top with a layer of swiss cheese.
Now cooking you kinda half to guess.
The last time I cooked it it was at 350 for i think about 40-50mins.
When it is almost done through about a half a bag of crutons on the top.
Just let it cool and you will have a great meal.

This is really a meal of its own the only thing really you can have with it is a tossed salad.

This recipe came from a friend in Connecticut and then who knows wear.

I would like to experiment with this in the future. Maybe replacing one of the cream of chicken cans of soup for a cream of mushroom.

Ive already tried with different cheeses. It was great I just used some shredded Mexican cheese and sharp that were in the fridge.

Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?

Its current name by my friends is chicken surprise does anyone know if it has an actual name?

That seems like an excessive amount of sauce.

How much chicken are we talking about here?

Also, a 32 ounce jar of mayo has about 7000 calories ....

Last edited:
I think an excellent way to experiment with this recipe would be to ditch the whole jar of mayo, the three cans of soup, and maybe even the cheese. That would leave you with some nice boneless, skinless chicken around which to make a much lighter, fresher dish. Any good cookbook, particularly more recent ones, should have some wonderful ideas that are not too difficult.

instead of just croutons -- i use a stuffing mix like stove top or even the pepridge farms. and also i get rid of the mayo to. and use another can of soup I generally use cream of chicken and cream of mushroom and if i got it a can of cream of celery or add a little sour cream instead of the mayo. I have also added some can chopped chiles.
also instead of the stuffing use crushed dorittos.

homegrown - thanks for sharing your recipe. Do you remember the size of the mayo jar? Possibly it was a 16-oz. jar versus a big one.

You could layer the bottom of the casserole with almost fully cooked rice or serve some pasta with the sauce once it is done. Any "cream of" will work fine. You might try cream of asparagus or even just put some freshly steamed asparagus in your dish, or broccoli.

jennyema - two things:

#1 - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for not mentioning the fat grams

#2 - I need to get my cholesterol meds filled :blush:

homegrownrecipes,

I thought of another one because of your name. You could eliminate all the mayo and cream of soups by brining the chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 3 days (yes, 3 days). Remove and rinse. Brown each breast thoroughly and place in a casserole dish. In the pan you just browned the breasts in you can add some chicken broth and a bit of cream (proper seasoning could be salt and pepper of course, fresh basil, or fresh tarragon, or even fresh rosemary) and let this mixture cook and reduce a bit. Pour this over your chicken in the casserole dish, cover and cook for about 30 minutes then remove cover and top them with your HOMEGROWN (I'm assuming you grow something :chef: ) tomatoes and then a slice of Swiss cheese and finish cooking uncovered until done. You still have a bit of creamy there without all the processed ingredients from the cream of soups and all the fat/calories from the mayo.

LOL homegrown - if you ask us to come up with different ideas for a recipe well........we usually take the challenge!

Sorry my connection has beed down due to the verizon tower falling on the cingular one. What a crazy thing.

Why remove the mayo. This is a great meal bc its a meal all together.

Using a whole jar of mayo and 3 cans of soup and a good amount of chicken we feed 11 people.

When I used this at home for my family of 4 I used 2/3's of the mayo jar and 2 cans of soup. Made just hte right amount.

by the way the sauce is delicous!!!

suzyQ3

Then that wouldnt be the recipe. HELLO!!!!

Im not sure on the size of the jar of mayo. I know its equally proportioned to the 3 cans of soup.

Im not the one that cares about how many calories I eat!!

I go out to eat every day this is one of the few meals i make at home.

homegrownrecipes said:
Sorry my connection has beed down due to the verizon tower falling on the cingular one. What a crazy thing.

Why remove the mayo. This is a great meal bc its a meal all together.

Using a whole jar of mayo and 3 cans of soup and a good amount of chicken we feed 11 people.

When I used this at home for my family of 4 I used 2/3's of the mayo jar and 2 cans of soup. Made just hte right amount.

by the way the sauce is delicous!!!

suzyQ3

Then that wouldnt be the recipe. HELLO!!!!

Im not sure on the size of the jar of mayo. I know its equally proportioned to the 3 cans of soup.

Im not the one that cares about how many calories I eat!!

I go out to eat every day this is one of the few meals i make at home.
"Then that wouldnt be the recipe. HELLO!!!"

Uh, yeah. My point.

Nobody get excited here, ok? This was the question asked:

homegrownrecipes said:
Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?

When you ask a question like that you should expect to get answers that lean towards how WE would redo the recipe to "perfect" it to our liking. A recipe is just a beginning point. That's great that you like the recipe as is but after you ask the question you've got to expect some responses that answer your question. No one is trying to say your recipe is wrong, we're just stating how we would change it to "perfect" it, like I said, to OUR liking.

And, since a "meal all together", to me anyway, means some sort of vegetable and some sort of good starch I would have to add those things too. Even if it's to your dish to make it a one-pot dish. Maybe add some broccoli, snow peas, or even cut up asparagus.

Here's a suggestion - to your sauce add 1 tsp or so of yellow curry powder. It's just a flavor that sits in the background but is oh so good! If you make the larger recipe I'd say use 2 tsps.

can it, i.c.. ;)

some people here cringe at the use of canned soup and mayo, while others use them as a convenience. we should be real about it.

this ain't a healthy dish, nor haute cuisine, either by any stretch of the imagination. but if you enjoyed it, then thanks for posting.

maybe if you made this with african lobster tails...:chef:

buckytom said:
can it, i.c.. ;)

some people here cringe at the use of canned soup and mayo, while others use them as a convenience. we should be real about it.

this ain't a healthy dish, nor haute cuisine, either by any stretch of the imagination. but if you enjoyed it, then thanks for posting.

maybe if you made this with african lobster tails...:chef:

Hey, I restrained myself. Actually, I don't blast people's recipes, no matter how much I may want to. Misinformation is a different story however.

I have made something similar. I use one can broth to the cream soup. It makes an easy winter weeknight meal and does feed the crowd. I add the stuffing mix to the top.

ironchef said:
Hey, I restrained myself. Actually, I don't blast people's recipes, no matter how much I may want to. Misinformation is a different story however.
Buckytom is correct. Some cooks are not fond of the use of canned soup/mayo in recipes. I think many grew tired of those concoctions way back when and decided to try using a lighter and fresher touch in their cooking. Obviously, each to his own.

But the OP specifically asked for opinions: "Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?" to be exact. He or she then seems to have taken offense to my politely stated recommendation, which hardly rose to the level of a "blast."

The moral of the story, then, is never to ask a question if you don't really want an answer.

I use a lot of "cream of" soups in my cooking because of the convenience, but I always buy the light versions, which have far less fat and sodium.
I think the recipe sounds delicious. I would want to season the chicken with a good garlic/herb seasoning and some pepper before adding it to the baking dish. I might also add a small jar of pimentoes to the sauce.

I'm not a fan of cream of anything canned soup - and adding mayo, so if I were trying to rework/improve the recipe, I might try heavy cream, white wine and fresh herbs and omit the croutons. But, that would be a total makeover and deter from what you already like. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

I'm not a canned soup cook myself, but I've been to many a church supper where such cooking is often the norm. The best of these dishes use a mixture of soups ie: cream of chicken mushroom and celery, or the golden mushroom. Most really good ones cut the mayo in half and mix with sour cream for a less oily base. Other touches to the sauce ... chives and parsley and dry sherry (about 1/4 cup)

Definately season your chicken using poultry mix or a garlic onion paprika powder mixture. Yes curry would work well too if you like it. The seasoned stuffing sounds like a good topping. I would "devin" it myself with broccoli spears alternating with the chicken, as well as fresh slliced mushrooms...and serve with rice to put the sauce on. Parmesan cheese would be a natural, and if you want goo, slices of provalone. But the swiss sounds good too.

Anyway it seems there are lots of ways you can morph this recipe to your likes

Add some broccoli to the recipe and you can call it Easy Chicken Divan.

And what do so many people have against canned soups, especially the glorious Cream of Mushroom?

If you don’t like Cream of Mushroom, how do you make Green Bean Casserole?

ahhhh, I make a deelish "green bean casserole" without any soup. Parboil your beans, saute a bit of onion, mix with beans....crumble a good amount of crackers, different kinds are good, mix together with beans and onion, then some cold pressed sharp cheddar cheese, crumbled, lots of it,and if you care to, some cheez whiz, mix all together and bake 325F for about 1/2 hour. Our grandkids are crazy for it, and I've never had guests who didn't want the recipe and seconds.....try it, you'll like it!!!!....lol

suzyQ3 said:
Buckytom is correct. Some cooks are not fond of the use of canned soup/mayo in recipes. I think many grew tired of those concoctions way back when and decided to try using a lighter and fresher touch in their cooking. Obviously, each to his own.

But the OP specifically asked for opinions: "Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?" to be exact. He or she then seems to have taken offense to my politely stated recommendation, which hardly rose to the level of a "blast."

BT and my exchange was based on the irony that if I really wanted to, I could've ripped into this recipe much, much, MUCH worse than you did (or at least what the OP thought you did. I didn't think you did at all). And I'm talking like Gordon Ramsay kinda ripping. And BT knows that which is why we made a joke of it.

I wasn't referring to your post at all. To say that I'm not "fond" of using an abundance of canned soup and mayonnaise in cooking? LOL that's like saying that the Yankees are not fond of throwing cash around. But, I quietly avoid conflict by not even bother reading threads that I know will touch that subject.

Back
Top Bottom